USSSA illegal player

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Not sure I condone this, but I do agree with the sentiment behind it.

I stepped over to the 14u bracket for a few games at the last tournament I worked. As we were taking the field, one of the coaches stops us. "I have to get this nonsense out of the way first. I'm down to 8 players, but I have to have 9 to start, correct?"

We confirm this and I say, "I'm not going to punish everybody here by telling you that you cannot play. If the TD makes you take a forfeit, I can't help that though."

The coach says, "Well, I have 9 on my line up."

"That sounds legal to me." I say.

At the plate meeting, the coach announces #9 on the card "twisted her ankle warming up" and we would have to scratch her. The opposing coach is even sporting enough to ask if we can forgo making them take the out, for which I thank him.
For anything other than a National, State or qualifier...Let Them Play! I had an on going rolodex of pick up players back in the day. There was a girl that really wanted to play with our 14u summer AllStar team but her DOB was one month past the cut off. I could not allow it, much to my dismay. She REALLY wanted to play with us and would have definitely help us.

Jun 8, 2016
I wouldn’t do it but I also wouldn’t say anything unless I thought it posed a safety issue (eg at the lower ages or if Jocelyn Alo showed up at any game other than maybe be a P5 contest 😂)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877