USSSA illegal player

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
I would disagree that USSSA rules are clear on that. From my quick look, it appears it is totally up to the State Director as to when a roster locks. I would also say if you are just playing in a local tournament, the TD is likely to supersede anything else since it is her/his tournament.

As an umpire, I don't get involved in roster issues, but to answer your question ... When did you bring it up?

RULE 5. PLAYERS AND SUBSTITUTES
Sec 8. INELIGIBLE PLAYER The penalty for using an ineligible player is a forfeit of a game in progress. For use of an ineligible player in a game previously completed, see Rule 13-5.

RULE 13. PROTEST
Sec 5. Player eligibility protests made during the game must be declared to the Plate Umpire. Player eligibility protests made after the game must be declared to the tournament director. During pool play, protests on player eligibility must be made before pool play has concluded and bracket seedings have been established. During bracket play, protests on player eligibility must be made before either team has begun their next game. If a player eligibility protest cannot be resolved at the time of the protest, the game shall be completed.

A. If the eligibility protest is upheld before the game is completed: the offending team loses the game, is ejected from the tournament, is placed last in the standings and forfeits all awards, sponsor travel money and berths that would have been awarded at that tournament.
B. If the eligibility protest is upheld after the game is completed but during the tournament: the game shall stand as played. However the offending team is ejected from the tournament, and assumes the same penalties as above.
C. If the eligibility protest is upheld after the tournament is completed, the team shall be placed last in the tournament standings and the standings shall be adjusted accordingly.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
This player must be a pretty good pitcher, otherwise you would not have brought this up. In all reality, does it matter? Once we got to 14U and above no one cared as we were used to players going from team to team week to week.

May 27, 2022
This player must be a pretty good pitcher, otherwise you would not have brought this up. In all reality, does it matter? Once we got to 14U and above no one cared as we were used to players going from team to team week to week.

We got into it one tournament with another local program - X - whey they pulled in top caliber talent from a different program - Y - just for bracket play on Sunday. Our coach called them on it, the TD reviewed their roster and kicked them out of the tournament for un-registered players.

Funny part was they tried to bust us for the same thing because one of our girls was registered as "Madison" and we had her listed at "Maddie" on our lineup card.

They did 'catch' us a couple weekend later when the coaches wife forgot to move our 14U player to the 16U roster as she was filling in for that weekend.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
We got into it one tournament with another local program - X - whey they pulled in top caliber talent from a different program - Y - just for bracket play on Sunday. Our coach called them on it, the TD reviewed their roster and kicked them out of the tournament for un-registered players.
If I remember Florida or Jax Storm got busted doing something like this at a national tourney a few years ago. I believe 2018 TCS Nats in GA. They had 18u players playing in the 16u championship game. They won. Got busted. The win was DQ'd.

Hence the sharing of the Title in 16U.

2018 Champions (Georgia, 144 teams):
14u -- So Cal Choppers Faucett (Valencia, CA)
16u -- Glory Atkins Gold (Flower Mound, TX) and ScrapYard Internationals (Conroe, TX)
18u -- East Cobb Bullets Gold Schnute (Marietta, GA)

Jul 14, 2018

We had to do this last weekend, I don’t feel great about it but we’ve been crushed by injuries. So we had an 18U player guesting with us for a 16U tournament.

She hit .091 in six games, and pitched six innings and took a loss. But if she didn’t play, we’d have had to forfeit and that doesn’t help anyone — our girls, our opponents, the tournament director; everyone misses out. So we bent the rules a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
We had to do this last weekend, I don’t feel great about it but we’ve been crushed by injuries. So we had an 18U player guesting with us for a 16U tournament.

She hit .091 in six games, and pitched six innings and took a loss. But if she didn’t play, we’d have had to forfeit and that doesn’t help anyone — our girls, our opponents, the tournament director; everyone misses out. So we bent the rules a bit.

Is she 16U age eligible? No issue

Did she play for the 18u team in the same tourney and then play for the 16u team? I have an issue with this.

My DD played on the 18U team, but the 16U team needed a couple of players for Friday morning games at Ronald McDonald tourney. And they needed a coach to step in. That was the last time I coached with my DD on the same field. This is not a National tourney and wins and losses meant nothing. Pure Showcase.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
USSSA rules seem pretty clear, that a player must be rostered 3 days before the event. What is the penalty if a player not listed on the on-line roster is used in a game?

That restriction is only for national events.
For the weekend tourneys it is up to the TD/State Director. Most allow adds right up to the event starts and as long as they are on the roster for the event at game time, they are good to go.

If you see something off, it is up to the coach of the opposing team to file a protest. Immediate penalty is forfeiture and disqualification from the event. Longer term penalties are from the state director for regular events, from HQ for nationals.

Jul 14, 2018
Is she 16U age eligible? No issue

Did she play for the 18u team in the same tourney and then play for the 16u team? I have an issue with this.

No, she is 18, definitely not eligible (just graduated high school). She was available because she stopped playing TB two years ago, so it was just to go out and play one more time. Her whole family came out to watch, it was sweet.

So we broke the rules, but it was not to bring in a ringer and stomp the field. It was because we only had 8 healthy players.

May 29, 2015

Not sure I condone this, but I do agree with the sentiment behind it.

I stepped over to the 14u bracket for a few games at the last tournament I worked. As we were taking the field, one of the coaches stops us. "I have to get this nonsense out of the way first. I'm down to 8 players, but I have to have 9 to start, correct?"

We confirm this and I say, "I'm not going to punish everybody here by telling you that you cannot play. If the TD makes you take a forfeit, I can't help that though."

The coach says, "Well, I have 9 on my line up."

"That sounds legal to me." I say.

At the plate meeting, the coach announces #9 on the card "twisted her ankle warming up" and we would have to scratch her. The opposing coach is even sporting enough to ask if we can forgo making them take the out, for which I thank him.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi