USSSA Berth roster rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
Team won berth to USSSA World Series placing second place October 2010. Roster of 14at that tournament. (limit appears to be 15).

Two players cannot go to this Florida tournament.
Coach wants to bring two players from another team that has not yet won a berth. Not use two original players in three USSSA tournaments team is playing this summer.

Team has USSSA tournaments in June, States July 9, Fla tournament July 25th

Can coach submit a roster with out two existing USSSA roster players and add two new players for USSSA tournamnts in 2011?

The rules from the USSSA site are below. Is the roster used October 2010 frozen?

Sec 4. When a team qualifies for a state or World Series Tournament the team roster will be frozen, whether a team accepts the berth or not.
A. The team roster becomes frozen immediately at the qualifying event. Players will be
bound to this qualified team up to and including the teams respective World
Tournament. A team may decline a World Series Tournament berth that is passed
down. The team manager shall be allowed to add three players to a qualified team’s
roster as late as 72 hours prior to the start of the tournament. Such additional players
can only be added to the rosters that have openings to allow for such add-ons.
B. A team manager may release up to three players from his team’s qualified frozen
roster, all such releases must be made on or before 7 days prior to start of World
Series. A team manager cannot replace a released player with an add-on.
C. All players added to a qualified frozen roster must meet the following requirements
1. Players cannot be on another qualified team’s roster.
2. All roster additions must be approved by the State Fast Pitch Director.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
My understanding is that once a team has qualified, the roster is locked, but up to 2 players can be added to the team's WS roster, either as replacements or additions, so long as they are not rostered on a team that has also qualified. The rule regarding the 3 "add-on players" referred to above are "pick-up" players for one tournament only and are not part of the locked WS roster. The two players being replaced need to be officially dropped from the team's roster - there is a form that needs to be filled out and filed with the state director.

I believe, but it is not clear to me, that the two dropped players are not eligible to play for a team in a USSSA tournament the same year if the team is in a lower classification, i.e. if the team that qualified was an "A" team, they cannot be dropped and join a "B" team the same year and play in USSSA tournaments. This does not affect joining a lower level team if they play tournaments sanctioned by other associations.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
Do they make this confusing on purpose?

geesh ... going to send out a quick couple of questions right to USSSA .. hopefully it gets clarified ...before the coach does something that can't be rectified ...

reading the rules ...
roster should be locked with the 14 and coach can add one more as limit is 15 ... as long as that player is not registered on another team or has been relased from another team.
team can add up to three players .. but the winning berth roster would have had to been 12 ... keeping limit to 15 ...

Dropping two players does not mean that two can be added ... looking at Section 4B.

OMG

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Man! Start out with complex set of rules and then ignore them! Gotta love that! BTW, why not go with 12? Is the coach worried about girls getting injured or quitting?

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
Option 2 if it's an issue. Leave the additional 2 on the roster that won't be going and pick up 1 for the last spot. You still will have 13 players for the tournament. That's more than most teams carry on thier roster all year, you'll be fine.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
Yes, rules are meant to be broken ! LOL
Just trying to be flexible so kids get experience, able to play, I guess.

Not completely unhappy ... but the coach told us the two not goingto Fla weren't going to be able to play in any USSSA because he had to submit roster by June 4. Turns out that isn't what the director planned ... two can still play in our USSA stuff before Fla.

One of these kids not going is a pitcher so coach needs a pitcher ... sticky part is that the kid he wants to bring is already on a team planning on playing another USSSA team same weekend. Wondering if her coach will let her go as he also needs his pitchers ....who knows about that ...

Thinking 13 would be fine to take ... but he has in mind what he wants to do ...

The rules are pretty complicated ...I was told that it is more up to each State .. like Maryland doesn't freeze rosters at all ...up to State director to decide roster/player add drops ..
thinking flexibility is a good thing ...but also that I can see some trying to stack teams and some kids getting the short end after season starts.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
update roster rules

Even though the USSSA director has said flexibility ... 2 players not going to Florida can remain on roster and play two tournaments prior to Florida trip...

Coach says they won't see ANY field time as he will only play the girls going to florida.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom