USSSA Announcement on Bat Certification

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 27, 2009
USSSA has implemented new rules for the testing of baseball and softball bats before a manufacturer can license a bat with USSSA. Current bats can improve with use, abuse, internal damage or by intentional altering and that improvement can exceed the BPF (Bat Performance Factor) limit for bats set by USSSA. Externally damaged bats even under current rules may be removed from play by umpires or directors. Bats that improve beyond the BPF limit cause a competitive imbalance in the game, can cause serious injury to participants and is unfair to those who have bats which comply with the USSSA BPF limit during the useful life of the bat.

Under the new rules a bat will no longer be licensed for USSSA play if it can ever improve in performance beyond the BPF limit (1.20 for softball and 1.15 for baseball) during its useful life. In addition, under the new rules manufacturers must demonstrate to USSSA that bats that are easily altered to improve the BPF will show dramatic visible damage or otherwise become unusable.

If the bat meets the new rules in lab testing, authorized USSSA manufacturers may add the new USSSA mark to the taper of the bat. Bats with the old USSSA mark are being phased out and for fastpitch the phase out period will last until September 1, 2013.

Even if a bat with the new mark passes the tests in the lab, the bat model may still be removed from USSSA play if it proves to be one which exceeds the BPF limit during actual play without showing dramatic damage. Beginning September 1, 2013 there will no longer be a list of legal fast pitch bats, just rules which require the bats be made by an authorized USSSA manufacturer and have the new mark on the taper or be made of wood.

There is no such illegal bat list at the current time. However, if a bat with the new mark is ultimately found to be illegal during play by the explanations stated above then USSSA will begin a list of such bats.

http://www.usssa.com/usssa/usssa-general/AnnouncementRev82011.pdf

Big wow on the wording of this pdf! Someone must want to sue...

Trying to figure out if Rocketechs will still be allowed. Anyone know?

Jul 28, 2008
Trying to figure out if Rocketechs will still be allowed. Anyone know?

From what I gathered when I read about this new rule a couple of months ago, bats will need to have the 2012 stamp on them. There is a clause this year that allows other bats, but next year they all need to have the stamp. No if's and's or but's about it.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
The 2012 rocketechs are one of the few bats I have seen so far that have the new stamp on it. My son has a new nanotek, it has the new baseball stamp on it. So I am hoping to be able to get a 2012 rocketech next winter at a discount. Unless a rep would like to give one to use, I can promise dd will be one of very few parking any balls at 12 u this summer, she could kiss her bat every time she crosses home and I could have rocketech flyers to hand out. Wow, what great advertising.

I don't think anything is different then the ASA 98 mph rule, but I don't think u trip could have a rule that says your bat must have the ASA seal on it.

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
The 2012 rocketechs are one of the few bats I have seen so far that have the new stamp on it. My son has a new nanotek, it has the new baseball stamp on it. So I am hoping to be able to get a 2012 rocketech next winter at a discount. Unless a rep would like to give one to use, I can promise dd will be one of very few parking any balls at 12 u this summer, she could kiss her bat every time she crosses home and I could have rocketech flyers to hand out. Wow, what great advertising.

I don't think anything is different then the ASA 98 mph rule, but I don't think u trip could have a rule that says your bat must have the ASA seal on it.

This is not new news :) The SP guys have known about this since last summer.

U-trip does have their own stamp, its just that they're about a decade late to the party.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
All the more reason not to play USSSA, but if you are going to play USSSA next year (Spring 2013), and are planning to buy a new bat in the interim, might as well look for a 2012 model. Those that get the 2011 Xenos, RTs, etc., at a huge discount will not be able to use them in 2013.

Oct 19, 2009
We usually play one or two USSSA tournaments a year, but I can't see requiring everyone to buy a new bat to continue the trend next year. Fortunately there are plenty of NSA and ASA options in Ohio.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Iowa. Missouri and a couple other neighboring states are similiar. I think old ASA district reps let it go. Now we have new ASA reps trying to build again.