Using the balance beam-I need some help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I have seen the "H" shaped balance beam for hitters to use when practicing off the Tee. I don't understand it.
It seems appropriate if you have a pitch straight down the middle, but inside or outside and your stride is handcuffed, so to speak.

what is the correct way to use this device and what is the goal?.

I have seen some coaches employing it lately and I don't know that I agree. One of them is also trying to stop batters from stepping into the pitch but what he's encouraging looks like spinning. They are also having girls hit off the tee with one hand using their regular bat, not a small bat.

any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated!

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Trying to balance yourself on the pads of your feet and swing a bat does not appeal to me. You are throwing an extra athletic move in on top of swinging a bat.
Maybe if you jumped off of it and landed, that would be an athletic position you could be in.:)

One of the reasons we make PVC bats is ,it is the same length as your game bat but light enough to handle.

SL

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2012
Using a balance beam is useful for certain hitting flaws like hitters that rock back on their heals or a hitter that steps in the bucket. If the hitter is already "balanced" in their swing the beam is not very useful. Also, use a 2x10 or a 2x12 for the beam, and do not make legs for the beam. Just place the 2x10 or 2x12 on the level ground.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
There is an old post on this subject on this site. Dana Elliot has the best reasons for not using it. infubuildit, who is a pretty good hitting coach in Texas. Most that they use it, don't use the 2" wide version but are using the 8" or 10" with the wood on the ground as Lenski stated. It was a tool used by many on the baseball sites years ago, that has fell out of favor

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
It seemed to me to be a gadget that they were buying into because the head coach of their new team was using it and they were unfamiliar with it. When I'm working with hitters off the tee, I like to vary location which I didn't see working with a balance beam.

I like both of the coaches that are incorporating it into their workout, but I don't think they get it . One of the coaches has a DD who is an excellent player and he was getting on her and a few others for "dropping her shoulder" when she was hitting. I demonstrated to him that he couldn't swing properly without dropping his shoulder. he then dropped the subject and never tried to "correct" that again.

SBFamily If you have any hitting coach comments handy, I'd like to hear them. in the mean time I'll try to search the site for ifubuildit's comments.

thank you!

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2012
Ralph and Karen Weekly are big proponents of using a straight 4foot long 2x10 board to promote balance and prevent over striding. My players enjoy using it (I only bring it on occasion). It's been helpful with the girls I've worked with who have open and closed stances. I think it also reinforces how important balance is to the swing.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1