Usefull Coaching Skills

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 13, 2010
We all know what skills to look at for players but what about coaches? What if Coaches had to Try out?
Here is some skills I thought are usefull when coaching.

Be good with a bat:
You should be able to hit fly balls where ever you want to, Same with grounders.
Be able to throw corectly:
If you do it right so will your players.
Be able to Pitch at least a little:
It is good for batting practice.
Be able to answer all questions about Softball:
Makes you look smart.
Be able to tape up an ankle or wrist ECT:
You will be asked to at some point.
Be able to handle situations involving TEARS:
They Are girls they will cry at some point.
Be able to handle difficult parents:
This WILL happen.

Their are more I know What can you think of?:cool:

Hers a few off the top....

Effective communicator
Predictable/Reliable
Consistant upbeat positive manner
Teaching ability....game situations and life lessons
zesty passion for the game....some call it goofy
Fun spirited
Competative

Apr 24, 2010
Foothills of NC
Be able to answer all questions about Softball:

After reading a lot on this board I would say that may not possible. A good coach would answer the questions he/she knows well. Research the questions he does not know. Their are plenty of arrogant coaches that "think" they know the answer but in reality are spreading incorrect information.

I hear it's "a simple game" but I'm not sure about that.:confused:

To add to your list lots of Patience.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
At times, "I don't know, I'll get back to you" is a very acceptable answer.

Adding to the skilz set: good speller - useless, except it makes the parents think you're smart (fake it with a spell checker!)

FWIW - good grammar can be viewed as a pro or con - some are gonna hate you either way

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I know that "predictable/reliable" was said, but I want DD's coach at the field before the first player gets there and after the last player leaves. It ticks me off when a coach can't be on time.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Tears are easy to deal with, fly balls to the outfield on target, that's another thing.

If you can handle the tears, you're hired! IMO, hitting OF flyballs is a cakewalk in comparison. Now, hitting foul pops from the plate for the catcher is another story (particularly wearing bifocals).

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
keeping your cool under fire, whether it is a game,
a conversation with a parent or umpire etc. I am a big
believer that a team follow the coach regarding their play.
If you are positive and relaxed on game day, your players will
be as well. If you are tense and 'worked up' your team will be too

Nov 29, 2009
I know that "predictable/reliable" was said, but I want DD's coach at the field before the first player gets there and after the last player leaves. It ticks me off when a coach can't be on time.

How about you pay him/her enough to coach the team so they don't have to work. That way they won't have to worry about leaving work early and fighting traffic trying to get to the field on time. Oh yeah.. They can't have a life outside of the team and have to leave early. Be real.. 99.99% of the people coaching coaching are not getting paid enough to only coach softball.

Ask your coach how many re-heated dinners they've had because they came straight from work to the ball field. Maybe they had enough time to buzz a drive-thru to grab a burger. More power to you if your work schedule allows you the flexibility to be at the field 20 minutes before everyone else. Most folks don't.

Dec 25, 2010
:applause:

how about you pay him/her enough to coach the team so they don't have to work. That way they won't have to worry about leaving work early and fighting traffic trying to get to the field on time. Oh yeah.. They can't have a life outside of the team and have to leave early. Be real.. 99.99% of the people coaching coaching are not getting paid enough to only coach softball.

Ask your coach how many re-heated dinners they've had because they came straight from work to the ball field. Maybe they had enough time to buzz a drive-thru to grab a burger. More power to you if your work schedule allows you the flexibility to be at the field 20 minutes before everyone else. Most folks don't.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1