Use of a "baseball swing" in fastpitch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Pretty much? Care to elaborate when you have time Ken?

There is a difference in the angle of the pitch, as you know. Baseball pitchers throw overhand from atop a built-up hill. Softball pitchers throw underhand from flat ground, and pitches can go up or down. So there are some adjustments related to that. Otherwise they're the same in my book.

Jul 21, 2015
The only difference between a good baseball swing and a good softball swing is that in the former you end up hitting a baseball hard and in the latter you end up hitting a softball hard.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Braun_teetogame.gif
[/QUOTE]

How about a thick yellow line on all three to see how the path of the barrel changes?

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Classic case of 'bat drag'.

vzkbwx.jpg

Another fine post brought to you by Captain Obvious. I would like to add an equally astute observation....her shirt is red.

softballmom-this is a really common problem with young hitters, the advice you got earlier in the thread is a great place to start. It takes a long time to improve this but as she does those drills she will develop the feel slowly but surely. As others have said she looks athletic, she will develop just fine with some structured work and teaching her to feel why this type of swing is not going to get the best results, even though it may launch some nice hits here and there.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
I don't think I get your point FFS. Maybe if you posted a GIF of this kid next to an MLB hitter it would make more sense. preferably from the Nationals or another team with a red Jersey so we would make sure that the red jersey is not contributing to her bat drag.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Classic case of 'bat drag'.

vzkbwx.jpg

My car stopped working the other day. I had my mechanic neighbor come over to take a look at it. He popped the hood, said "distributor cap", slammed the hood closed, and walked away. He was just as helpful as the above post.

C'mon, FFS. You can do better than that. How about some info for the OP on what "bat drag" is, and maybe a usable suggestion on how to make an improvement? :)

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
And mark your calendars....this thread is where Eric officially passed FFS as a resident hitting guru on DFP.

can show how much Maddie has improved and can actually show a student of his with before and after-check
offers advice that actually answers the Ops questions and will help-check

I think he is more qualified to offer advice now than Jabba over at HI as well. Jabba still has not been able to train a female FP player how to improve her swing either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand