Use of a "baseball swing" in fastpitch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
My apologies to the OP for adding my 2 cents to seomething I obviously know nothing about. Please disregard my advice and follow FFS's advice and let your daughters rear elbow fly wherever it wants. No artificial restricitons. Good luck to you on your journey.

Most of us have been there at one time or another. The key is learning/understanding the difference between an absolute and a preference. If you watch enough video, you will note that many hitters do in fact keep there hands in front of the elbow as you are suggesting. However you will also find some that do not, but are still very successful. Personally I do not spend much time thinking about either elbow.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I guess my object lesson is that there's more than one way to skin a cat. But, there are some fundamentals she needs to work on. I will take all of this to the hitting coach.

Mar 3, 2015
Michigan
Most of us have been there at one time or another. The key is learning/understanding the difference between an absolute and a preference. If you watch enough video, you will note that many hitters do in fact keep there hands in front of the elbow as you are suggesting. However you will also find some that do not, but are still very successful. Personally I do not spend much time thinking about either elbow.

As it relates to the OP's video, I believe that you do not want the rear elbow leading the hands through the swing path. I believe this is wrong, and will prevent her from hitting as well as she could. There are many ways to teach a kid how to hit, it just seems as though most times when people try to provide some advice that has produced results for them, there is an argumentative self proclaimed professional that will pick it apart. I guess I have learned why numerous people warn to stay away from the Techinical Hitting Forum. ��

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
tumblr_ntcmketvAP1usf292o1_500.gif

This is a slow swing which many call a baseball swing. There are 2 parts to the swing, preparation to swing and then swing. There isn't a clear change of direction in this swing because she is swinging the entire time (slow swing). A change of direction is created when the 2 parts interact with each other.

The load can be created early, which helps set up the change of direction in the swing. Her load seems to be happening late. I don't like the jab step stride because it usually involves a later load and the hitter being behind the 8 ball. Her stride might be longer then just a jab step, but I see the same effect.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Ok, so there is no difference but as I posted a few weeks ago, it was said of my dd that she had a baseball swing by a college coach. In fact, he admonished her for attempting to copy Pujols. Hitters hit and while this sounds simplistic, often hitters figure a lot of things out by themselves when they really get after it in a cage. For the young lady's swing I see here, and in terms no longer used, I don't see her getting into the "sit position" when she swings. What is this young lady getting out of her front side? Nothing. As Shawn mentioned she is wasting that energy. This hitter could really benefit from obtaining a sense of riding that back hip and controlling the middle. To the OP, if you take the time to read some of the treads in the Technical Hitting Forum, you'll see plenty of posts on this. Find posters who make sense to you when they discuss hitting and then read their stuff. You'll get a sense of what each of us believes in.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Ok, so there is no difference but as I posted a few weeks ago, it was said of my dd that she had a baseball swing by a college coach. In fact, he admonished her for attempting to copy Pujols. Hitters hit and while this sounds simplistic, often hitters figure a lot of things out by themselves when they really get after it in a cage. For the young lady's swing I see here, and in terms no longer used, I don't see her getting into the "sit position" when she swings. What is this young lady getting out of her front side? Nothing. As Shawn mentioned she is wasting that energy. This hitter could really benefit from obtaining a sense of riding that back hip and controlling the middle. To the OP, if you take the time to read some of the treads in the Technical Hitting Forum, you'll see plenty of posts on this. Find posters who make sense to you when they discuss hitting and then read their stuff. You'll get a sense of what each of us believes in.

Yes the sitting doesn't happen. Just a slotting while shifting (swinging the entire time). The slotting should happen as the sitting action happens.

Yes I really like the riding the back hip/knee/leg, in which the load would happen earlier then what is being shown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand