Unimportant Gamechanger stat question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
It really sucks giving your own daughter an error in the field or a ROE as a batter. But gotta do it right.
Nahh..I've told the guy who runs GC for DD's team that if Ozzie Smith could have made the play then give the DD an error.. He kind of looked at me funny not knowing if I was serious or not because he knows how I am..:LOL:

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
If I am counting columns correctly, there is a Zero under HBP, that 1 is actually a ROE.

So, 17 plate appearances/7 hits = .412

16 At Bats / 7 hits = .438

Must be a Sac we don't see?

Good catch. The misaligned numbers threw me off.

So yes, it must be a sac fly (not a sac bunt; sac bunts are not part of the OBP calculation).

ROE really suck. They don't seem fair. Girl hit a laser that goes off the heel of the third baseman's glove and gets past the LFer and she ends up on second base but her BA went down.

That sounds like a hit to me, though it's obviously up to the judgment of the scorer.

That said, I'm pretty sure studies have shown ROE is a skill at the Major League level. I imagine it is, to some extent, at various levels of softball, too. I'm not sure a hitter who gets on via an error should get the same credit as one who gets on via a single, but since it's a skill (likely mostly speed-based), the batter should get some credit.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
Good catch. The misaligned numbers threw me off.

So yes, it must be a sac fly (not a sac bunt; sac bunts are not part of the OBP calculation).

That sounds like a hit to me, though it's obviously up to the judgment of the scorer.

That said, I'm pretty sure studies have shown ROE is a skill at the Major League level. I imagine it is, to some extent, at various levels of softball, too. I'm not sure a hitter who gets on via an error should get the same credit as one who gets on via a single, but since it's a skill (likely mostly speed-based), the batter should get some credit.

Sometimes it's fair sometimes it's not.... I watch a girl break up a no hitter because she was a terrible hitter and for some reason the pitcher threw her a change up that fooled her so badly she actually hit a little blooper over the infield. Yea! Base hit!!! Seriously, the batter had poor mechanics and a really slow swing that corresponded with a really slow load before the swing. The pitcher struck her out 10 times in ten ABs during a three game series. Then with two strikes the genius coach called a change and she swung like it was a fastball but her swing was so damn slow she actually hit it.

On the flip side my DD had one of her most violent series of at bats in a game. I've never seen her hit the ball harder. Screaming liner into the SS's glove, two screamers into 3rd's glove, and screaming liner that would have cleared the 4 foot high OF fence but the CF was playing her on the warning track and grabbed it at her shoulder before it went out. 0-4 on the day and never hit the ball harder. Just how the ball bounces some times.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
Our head coach once caught an assistant coach changing the stats for his (assistant coach's) daughter. You could tell it was changed because the game summary on Game Changer had a different number of hits than the box score. Lots of back story to that which I won't bore you with, but the assistant lost his GC admin privileges.

I lost my GC privileges because I was too accurate. lol Same as your story, but different...

I was asked to do GC for a 14U coach who had zero knowledge of the game, but I like watching ball and I love stats, and I had done it for the previous coach so I agreed.

His wife kept the official book in the dug out, and she would always tell me, "I don't know what I'm doing." She was right, but she did OK.

The coach's DD had the 7th highest average on the team (she's the one in my post above with the really slow swing). Poor mechanics and was about as fast as a statue when it came to base running. She batted 4th of course... She was a super nice kid, but not much of a ball player.

She played first base and was largely immobile, and had never been taught any footwork or glove work, so she led the team in errors. Granted she touched the most balls so it wasn't outrageous.

The team had 2 great players who this doofus inherited from the previous coach. They both were great hitters and had stolen about 30 bases in 20 games during the previous season. (They had played for great coaches in their younger years and the one was a champion in the 100 meters in track. Just blazing fast and great baserunners and super aggressive.)

I was amazed that this coach wouldn't let the two rabbits run. Only if there was a runner on 3rd could they steal second. Some coaches like to run, and others don't. Except- his DD always had the green light. Remember she was as fast as a statue, and worse yet she didn't know how to slide.

Then it all made sense...
Somewhere around midseason he called me at home and asked me to change some stats that he didn't agree with. I asked him what he meant and he said some of the girls stats were too high and some were too low. He asked if I'd look through the score book and change my scoring to what his wife had. Keep in mind I had been scoring for over 30 years and she told me she didn't know what she was doing. I told him I'd take a look... I could have made a mistake here or there. I know there was a game I got to late because of work and she had one of the rabbits down for a single and a 3 base error. When I sat with some extremely knowledgable people they said it was a HR all the way. The OF took a poor angle and the ball got by her but it wasn't an error.

When I looked at the book all the errors their daughter made at first were charged as throwing errors on the other fielders. Many hits by the two rabbits were scored as errors. If they beat out a throw due to their amazing speed she scored it an error. The coaches DD was also credited with a number of hits that I scored as Fielder's Choices, but maybe she didn't know what that was. Then it dawned on me, "Oh he can't give his DD the MVP plaque unless I change the stats in GC because the parents can see them. That's why he won't let anyone steal bases."

I couldn't in good conscience falsify the stats, so I told him I felt what I had was accurate, so he took back the iPad and asked for the password for the team website I created, because he didn't agree with who I selected as player of the game sometimes. My selections were of course based on game stats and game impact.

Surprise his DD was MVP & got a sweet plaque.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1