Unimportant Gamechanger stat question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
I was going through the stats in Gamechanger for a few games we played this weekend. How is it possible to have a higher batting average than OBP (on base percentage)?

3 games, so a very small sample size. If a player is thrown out attempting to get a double or triple. Does there batting average go up and if there are thrown out their OBP goes down?

Oct 26, 2019
I was going through the stats in Gamechanger for a few games we played this weekend. How is it possible to have a higher batting average than OBP (on base percentage)?

3 games, so a very small sample size. If a player is thrown out attempting to get a double or triple. Does there batting average go up and if there are thrown out their OBP goes down?
The only way that can happen, unless I am missing something, is if you’re sac flies and sac bunts exceed your walks and HBP.

Jun 8, 2016
The only way that can happen, unless I am missing something, is if you’re sac flies and sac bunts exceed your walks and HBP.
In baseball, a sac bunt doesn't count against a player's OBP (but a sac fly does). Probably the same in softball but not sure about in GC softball.. :LOL:

Oct 26, 2019
In baseball, a sac bunt doesn't count against a player's OBP (but a sac fly does). Probably the same in softball but not sure about in GC softball.. :LOL:
That makes sense about the sac bunts. So only scenario is more sac flies than walks and HBP. Can’t imagine that happens often except in very small sample sizes.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
I can’t figure out how that is possible, since a sacrifice of any kind doesn’t count as an at bat..... GC is pretty good about only allowing the score keeper to apply certain inputs on certain situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 11, 2013
To answer the original question if you get thrown out trying to stretch a hit into a double or a triple it counts as both a hit and as an on base number so it helps both.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I can’t figure out how that is possible, since a sacrifice of any kind doesn’t count as an at bat..... GC is pretty good about only allowing the score keeper to apply certain inputs on certain situations.

The formula for OBP is (H + BB + HP)/(AB+BB+HP+SF)

Sac hits (bunts) are not factored in, though they do count as a plate appearance.

Catcher's Interference/Obstruction is also not factored in to OBP even though it's a plate appearance.

To answer the original question if you get thrown out trying to stretch a hit into a double or a triple it counts as both a hit and as an on base number so it helps both.

Correct, and the player gets a TOOTBLAN for getting Thrown Out On The Bases Like A Nincompoop. :)

Last edited:
May 16, 2016
Illinois
Copy and Paste from gamechanger.

#RosterGPPAABH1B2B3BHRRBIRHBPROEFCCIBBSOAVGOBPSLGOPS

00blw 617167700043010000.438.412.438.849

Can't get the numbers to line up vertically but the batting average shows .438 with a OBP of .412

Jul 27, 2015
Could it be the coach went in and manually entered a value?

Upon further thought ,maybe not. That should change OB% too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood