Umpiring for Dummies

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

What might work is a little cheat sheet for parents.

Maybe a top ten things that they many get wrong.

1. I know the runner scored before the out at first, but is still doesn't count.
2. Not every fly ball in the infield invokes the infield fly rule.

Any help on the next 8

3. Foul balls: how to recognize them, and refrain from the desire to inform the batter-runner.

4. Pitchers can have sunglasses, multi-color gloves, and wrist bands.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
6. The ball does not have to go over the head of the batter or anyone else for it to be caught for an out.

7. Dropped bat - Ball hits Bat versus Bat hits Ball

8. Interference versus Obstruction

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
11. You can use a 1st base mitt in other positions.

12. Foul ball - It is where you touch it not the position of your feet.

13. You cannot appeal a runner leaving early on a steal. If they left early they would have been called out.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2013
13. She came back to first in fair territory doesn't mean she attempted to go to second

14. Home plate is in fair territory

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Do it and make it mandatory for parents to attend. Create a cheat sheet and keep it handy. Then when someone pops off with a clueless comment hand them a cheat sheet entitled RULES FOR NOOBS with the title boldly emblazoned on the front . "Here's Your Sign"! I would also include a FAQ section with the most common items, clearly numbered. That way an umpire can just respond with "Please refer to page 1 FAQ #6 in the hymnal for the answer." I suspect that this would very quickly become self policing.
Once you make it so that all umps know the rules, then I think you can go to work on the parents.

Mar 2, 2013
Once you make it so that all umps know the rules, then I think you can go to work on the parents.

That's a pretty ignorant remark. My idea was to help parents avoid embarrassing themselves by saying something stupid and to help them recognize just briefly that umpires are human. Name on trade where everyone is perfect.

You also can't be a quality coach without actually knowing the rules.

The other side of things is that if parents would act with a fraction of the respect that they would demand from their own children, then maybe we wouldn't lose so many umpires in the first year or two of service.

Apr 27, 2012
Probably couldn't attend the clinic, but would sure love to make a video mandatory viewing for our team and the fans.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32