Umpiring for Dummies

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 2, 2013
Just out of curiosity, how many of you think that your players' parents and other fans would be interested in going to a FREE class that discusses softball rules and some of the mechanics (why an umpire does or doesn't do something)?

I'm not talking about "How to Become and Umpire" but rather "How to be a More Educated Observer." In other words, "How Not to Sound Like an Idiot to Those Around You Who Know the Game."

The reason I ask is because it pains me to hear some of the uneducated things that come out of a parent's mouth. The parents then tell their child that the umpire's robbed them. Rather than telling their child that the call was right, that's how life goes and here is what the child could do better next time, they blame the umpire. It's the umpire's fault that the runner plowed into the 2nd baseman who has possession of the ball she just fielded. "She's just running the bases, blue! What do you want her to do? Don't worry Sweetie, you were fine." Just like it is our fault when an infield fly is dropped, the base coaches don't...COACH...their runners and the runners take off an run into tags resulting in double or triple plays.

I run enough clinics where holding one more class isn't going to get me into any more trouble with the Misses.

Who thinks people would actually show up? I think in organizations like Little League they ought to make a parent/guardian of each child show up to something like this. Plus it is a good opportunity to show the parents that we aren't a munch of millionaires who just like to go out and get screamed at in 105 degree heat for calling their daughters out on strike 3. Rather, we are humans who put ourselves on public display on a regular basis for a nominal fee where our on-the-job-training is open to review by anyone who wants to see it; something that isn't true of virtually any other trade in this country.

Thoughts...

Nov 1, 2008
Should they go? Yes. Will they go? No.

I wish they would, or at least read the rule book occasionally. My wife is one of the worst, "They can't do that!" Yeah honey, they can. Makes for a much less stressful viewing experience if you know the rules.

Mar 15, 2014
Sounds as if you want to help umpires become loved. appreciated and understood..
May as well try for world peace--the odds may be better.

Apr 8, 2014
DFW TEXAS
Love the idea and know many folks that should attend, but getting them there and paying attention would be like herding cats. Hell most of them don't even pay attention to their own daughters on the field, then start with all the questions of why this or that happened.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I no longer coach, but wish that I had invited an umpire to a practice to discuss rules and whatever else that might make the players and coaches more knowledgeable, but also to give everyone a glimpse into what it's like to be blue.

At a game last week, where I was just an observer (no rooting interest), there was brief look-back rule argument. Short version: Umpire was right. At the end of it, some parent says, ''Know the rules, blue!''

Which showed me that I could not be an umpire.

I'd have to call timeout and have a conversation that started something like this, ''Listen, you ignoramus .... ''

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
For several years I ran the umpire training for a local league. Every year we offered a free "rules 101" class open to any interested coach, player or parent. Attendance was abysmal. One year we had two people show up. This isn't a small league, either. Sign-up for summer baseball and softball is around 1500 and in the fall it's about 900.

Why should people sign up to learn about something when they already know it all? :p

Jun 11, 2013
I think it's a great idea, but agree with most that parents wouldn't attend.

It would be nice if you could make the coaches go. Have them take a test at the end, if they pass they get an ID badge that allows them to talk to ask Umps questions during the game. If not, the umps can be instructed to ignore all questions.

What might work is a little cheat sheet for parents.

Maybe a top ten things that they many get wrong.

1. I know the runner scored before the out at first, but is still doesn't count.
2. Not every fly ball in the infield invokes the infield fly rule.

Any help on the next 8

Mar 1, 2013
It should be mandatory attendance for any parent who ever said, "Well, I ump and I know he's wrong" when the umpire was clearly right.

I'm sure by "I ump", he meant that he was pulled from the stands to work his kid's kickball game at 4th grade field day.

:D

Our local ASA district commissioner does offer an "umpire 101" class at the beginning of the community season. Coaches and parents are encouraged to attend, especially since we use parent/volunteer umpires in the 10U community league. Attendance isn't bad, but mostly it concentrates on balls/strikes fair/foul and such.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Do it and make it mandatory for parents to attend. Create a cheat sheet and keep it handy. Then when someone pops off with a clueless comment hand them a cheat sheet entitled RULES FOR NOOBS with the title boldly emblazoned on the front . "Here's Your Sign"! I would also include a FAQ section with the most common items, clearly numbered. That way an umpire can just respond with "Please refer to page 1 FAQ #6 in the hymnal for the answer." I suspect that this would very quickly become self policing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32