Umpires not allowed to fist bump/shake hands?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
I have always taught my players to shake the hand and thank the umpires after a game no matter if we won or lost. Some umpires prefer to fist bump. High school to high level travel --ASA, PGF, USSSA, USFA, NSA from Colorado to Florida, Midwest and Southeast.

It's about manners, respecting the game and sportsmanship.

This weekend at a State ASA Event the umpires refused to shake the girl's hands. Saying that they are not allowed to touch players. (There was no problem the first day) and our older teams were at another location and there was no issue.

I asked the Tournament Director about it and he told me that the ASA was being sued because a player went to fist bump an umpire and the umpires missed the players fist and hit the young lady in the chest.

Is this just another sue-happy-phobia "rule" by a state association?

Jun 22, 2008
I havent heard anything about any situation like that either personally or through any fellow umpires. At least locally in the past we have been told not to actively seek out coaches and/or players to shake their hands but to not refuse to shake hands if we are approached.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
At the end of the game, umpires are to meet their partners and promptly exit the field, usually on the side of the winning team, but if egress is more efficient through another exit, so be it. The point is not to linger or put themselves in the way of being challenged by a disgruntled coach. Personally, I'd rather not exchange pleasantries with any member of either team, that is done at the plate meeting prior to the game.

Sep 29, 2014
Exactly shake coaches and captains hands at the home plate conference after the game umpires simply exit quietly, never had one refuse to shake my hand afterwords but usually only if they exit on my side...and win or lose, good calls or bad at least immediately after the game only thing I usually say is "Good Game Blue".

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
We play with 1 umpire, some just stay behind the plate, the ones that run all over the field I thank for their effort.

What is that win you mentioned? We haven't seen one of those this year. ☺

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12