"Umpires defended without question"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2013
But here we are with an ump starting a thread to show to support for another ump that was clearly wrong in the other thread. Besides the use of profanity, the catcher getting in the way of an ump as an excuse for consistently not calling upper strike zone, is ridiculous.

I have umped, I am not good at it. I am too impartial and don't want to make a bad call. The problem I see with most bad umps is the call they make is irreversible. They won't ask for help and if they do, the other umps won't overrule. It is a unspoken rule. You know this. I watched three different state games this year and the HU made horrible call and with 2 in the field neither would overrule. Third strike in the dirt, HU calls clean catch. It was obviously not a clean catch but the other 2 umps would not overrule. There wasn't anyone on base either. That mentality bleeds over to this board.

Everyone makes mistakes but to not listen and think you are beyond reproach is wrong. What happened when MTR was questioned? He blew up like noone should question him. That was why he gave his credentials. How dare a simple fan, parent, or coach question him with all his experience. He was wrong in that thread and I think you are wrong by supporting him by starting this one. Just my thoughts. I give a lot of props to good umps and befriend everyone I find. It's a tough job.

Jun 22, 2008
I have umped

If you have umped, then you should know full well NO umpire has the authority to overrule another umpires call. If a coach thinks the umpire missed some important aspect of information or missapplied a rule the coach can request the umpire who made the call seek assistance from his partners. It is entirely up to the umpire who made the call to make the decision to seek assistance, and even they do seek assistance from the other umpires it is still the umpires decision who made the initial call to either stay with the original call or change their call based on the new information they have received from their partners.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Coaches need to understand that, like asking for time, you have to ask the umpire who made the call IF he/she will go to his/her partner for "help". And there is NO requirement that an umpire grant time or ask for help.

I've worked with partners who would never go for help if asked no matter what the situation AND I've worked with partners that would ask for help WHENEVER asked.

Parents and coaches need to understand (not agree with, just understand) that GAME MANAGEMENT is the #1 trait preached to umpires (at least here in Southern California in my experience). In a timed game, we are told to manage the game in such a way that we get 7 innings in as much as possible. That's why I tell my players (as a manager) that umpires are not paid to make safe calls and there is NO tie goes to the runner rule in the rulebook.

May 10, 2010
Umpires are only make 50% of the fans happy with each call. Not many posts on here about the awesome calls or about the great mechanics an umpire had at a tournament. Only about little Suzi could not get corners or she was called out for interference. Some are about rules and I get that, but many decisions are made during a game and most are judgement calls. I am with you on knowing the rules, but the coaches are not any better at knowing them than the umps. If umpires hustle and are consistent then I am pretty happy.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I respect umpires, I know it's a tough job when your decision can only make 50% of those at the game happy. That being said I expect them to follow the written rules of the game unless modified rules are stated in writing or verbally before the tourney or a game.

Since DD is in college ball now I've gone back to my roots and been working with young baseball pitchers to stay active. The real young ones we go over and over what is legal and what is not. I've gone to watch a few of the pitchers ( when DD's fall games allowed ) and LOVE to see an ump reinforce good mechanics with a quick IP/balk call. I'd almost forgotten how IMPORTANT the role an ump played to a new "pitching student", and how QUICKLY the student wants to correct himself. If fastpitch umps would take on this role it would eliminate so much unnecessary BS and create a better playing environment for all.

I umpired after college in BB, maybe after DD gets out of her playing years I might umpire some fastpitch to put my money where my mouth is. :)

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
If you as a coach or manager don't like the quality of umpiring you're seeing, once you're done coaching or managing, become an umpire and help the sport get better. It will also help you become a better coach or manager - assuming of course YOU crack the spine on the rule book...;-)

I would suggest that if interested, you don't wait. I often tell players that say, "I still want to play", you can do both. I will also guarantee that if you take the umpiring instruction seriously, it will improve your game as a coach and/or player.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
But here we are with an ump starting a thread to show to support for another ump that was clearly wrong in the other thread. Besides the use of profanity, the catcher getting in the way of an ump as an excuse for consistently not calling upper strike zone, is ridiculous.

I have umped, I am not good at it. I am too impartial and don't want to make a bad call. The problem I see with most bad umps is the call they make is irreversible. They won't ask for help and if they do, the other umps won't overrule. It is a unspoken rule. You know this. I watched three different state games this year and the HU made horrible call and with 2 in the field neither would overrule. Third strike in the dirt, HU calls clean catch. It was obviously not a clean catch but the other 2 umps would not overrule. There wasn't anyone on base either. That mentality bleeds over to this board.

Everyone makes mistakes but to not listen and think you are beyond reproach is wrong. What happened when MTR was questioned? He blew up like noone should question him. That was why he gave his credentials. How dare a simple fan, parent, or coach question him with all his experience. He was wrong in that thread and I think you are wrong by supporting him by starting this one. Just my thoughts. I give a lot of props to good umps and befriend everyone I find. It's a tough job.

You might want to try actually reading what is typed with an open mind instead of the preconception you demonstrate here. But that probably wouldn't fit your belief that everyone should believe the same that you do. Thank you for proving my perception about those who actually believe in profanity.

Jul 6, 2013
I guess probably not the right thread for it, but why not....is there ever an appropriate way to ask an umpire about a call? I understand that certain calls, ie, judgement calls, are not appealable, but us there ever a case where a coach can ask about it? I've yet to see one. I've run across several situations where an umpire, by no fault of his own was in a very poor position to see a call clearly. More times than not, I just clap my hands and say good play. But there has been the occasion when I have called time, approached the umpire and very politely asked if he could check with the other ump because his view may have been blocked by a girl. Without fail, every time, I've just gotten a "no". I don't argue...he says no, I turn around and go back to the coach's box. Why is there not a feeling if wanting to make sure every call is correct? Is it just a thing locally? In many cases in this situation, between innings I'll chat with both umps and one if them will say "yeah he/I missed that call". I just laugh usually. Umps are human. But is there ever a way to get an ump to check on a judgement call??? And dang near every time I hear the "he/I blew that call", it is followed the next inning by a makeup call....which drives me NUTS!!!

Jun 1, 2013
You might want to try actually reading what is typed with an open mind instead of the preconception you demonstrate here. But that probably wouldn't fit your belief that everyone should believe the same that you do. Thank you for proving my perception about those who actually believe in profanity.

I actually I did and do read with an open mind. You, not very cleverly, called me "weak minded". Again, someone disagreeing with you and you resort to remarks about intellect and go into the defense mode. You are still trying to win the arguement from the last thread and trying to make it "ok" for using the words inappropriate for this board. If it is not a profanity, next time you ump a kids game, tell them what a great f'n job they are doin.Better yet, at the start of the game, yell Play F***'n Ball. See where that lands you. Whereas my response have proven nothing you have said, your's have proven the whole point. If any of this is lost on you, go back and read previous post for continuity's sake.

Jun 29, 2013
I really do respect the good umpires, especially the ones who will look you in the eye and say "you know, you may be right but this is the way I saw it." Egos checked at the door are a huge, insurmountable plus for me. The CB Buckner's of the world? Not so much. And that's all I have to say about that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877