Parents Attacking Umpires

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Once the game is over, they don't owe you anything. Approaching in the parking lot regardless of good intentions is not ideal. Bad calls happen and I'm yet to see a coach who got a bad call go their way ask for it to be overturned.
Odd that you quoted me but I guess you were just agreeing with me??

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
However your offense of approaching him after the game in the parking lot is much worse. What are you going to gain at this point? You have no official capacity. You want to berate him? Rub it in he 'got it wrong'. Get into a fight? I don't get it? What is he going to say exactly? He probably knows he got it wrong - and is trying to forget it even happened. Please don't do this.

@marriard consistently offers up really great reading materials with excellent details. Thank you for them!
These comments really should be on a big billboard sign at every ballpark. Adding a reminder to those who want to storm off the field following other people beyond what happened on the field.

*would add a line at the top of this billboard that says
"think through what you're about to do"

With a reminder at the bottom
*you don't know what that person has in their car!

Apr 8, 2019
Why? You had the video, you knew it was a bad call. Were you looking for an apology or something?
Pattar's question get to the root of this issue. There seems to be a prevailing mindset that it is some sort of travesty of justice that must be rectified when an umpire blows a call. Or that umpire secretly harbors a grudge for the aggrieved team and blew the call intentionally. Of course umpires are going to blow calls! They are imperfect, just like everyone else. Not to mention they are working their asses off in the hot sun all weekend dressed in gear that seems designed to cause heatstroke.

It can be natural for a parent to react to a bad call. I can understand the occasional outburst. But after that, the play is over. Right, wrong, or in between the call cannot be changed. So what is the point of carrying on? The umpire blew the call. Yes, that sucks. Move on to the next play.

Pattar is 100% right, what outcome would someone hope to achieve from following an ump to their car (respectfully or otherwise?!) Validation? Remorse from the umpire? Does Gamechanger have an asterisk that can be added to the stat line, when you definitively prove a bad call? It's just a waste of time at best, at worst we get umpires being assaulted.

Jan 14, 2021
The umpires I admire most realize that fan noise...no matter how ugly...is simply outside of their purview and ignore it. Tournament or park officials all have sportsmanship standards for spectators. It is those folks responsible for everything outside the fence. Players, coaches, and umpires are only accountable for their actions inside the fence and on the field of play. Fans will be jerks. That is nothing new. The original story was about a criminal assault after a game. That mom's behavior should have been handled by tournament officials or security...not by an umpire or coach or player. Facebook allows hundreds of thousands to know of this sort of thing, but this terrible behavior has been happening in all sports for 50 years.

Oct 4, 2018
@marriard consistently offers up really great reading materials with excellent details. Thank you for them!
These comments really should be on a big billboard sign at every ballpark. Adding a reminder to those who want to storm off the field following other people beyond what happened on the field.

*would add a line at the top of this billboard that says
"think through what you're about to do"

With a reminder at the bottom
*you don't know what that person has in their car!

I do like the signs I see at some parks that say things like:

"College Coaches are not giving out scholarships at today's 12U game"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom