Umpire ejects spectator (video)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
A dad was tossed from a local LL game, this week. He was yelling at his own daughter. One of his gems was that if she couldn't play softball, he would take her home so she could play Barbie dolls.

Oct 25, 2009
The NFHS rules aren't specific as to the authority of the umpire to remove spectators. It is pretty specific about the umpire approaching the coach to get the coach to help with spectator behavior. Don't ask me, buy the app; it's only $5.99.

Most probably know that umpires will have unruly spectators removed. I've witnessed this on more than one occasion. So, I guess it must be an unwritten rule.

I, for one, am glad that some spectators can be removed—legally or not.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
And like covered in the other thread that never happens. HU should and will take action against problem that affects his game. It has happened many times in the past and will continue to happen (and should). Do you want the HU to get out his cell phone and call the TD or UIC to handle the situation while holding up the game or should he/she just handle it themselves? Some issues are common sense and easily handled by telling the problem to leave the game. No need to call the UIC or TD.

The OP of this thread is simply proving what has been stated in the other thread. The HU has and can throw out a parent for conduct that effects his game that he is officiating. While some posters like MTR state that the HU doesn't have the authority based on ASA rules, it happens all the time. If the HU was out of line for doing this wouldn't you think that the UIC or TD would not allow it? I guarantee the HU will umpire the next game on his schedule after removing a problem parent.

Just because someone wearing a uniform acts in a particular manner does not make it right. You can call it "real world" all you want, it is a lack of professionalism and demonstration of week game management.

This guy was wrong. Umpires have enough to do on the field without worrying about or dealing with spectators. I have never argued with a fan, directed them to leave or shut up or anything else. Can they be annoying? Sure. Do I care? Not for a second. An umpire who does should find something else to do, maybe become a coach or TD, positions that are responsible for the fans.

Mar 22, 2012
phreak - Suggesting I get an app is not quite a citation. It's ok, I have a NFHS book. I can't seem to find the specific rule regarding coaches being responsible for their spectators. I'm not saying it's not there, just that I can't find it. So I still need a citation.

What I did find was:

10.1.5 - "...The umpire's right to disqualify players or to remove nonplayers for objecting to decisions or for unsporting conduct is absolute."

Pretty straightforward IMO.

The OP was about youth ball so any citation from those sanctioning bodies on my two circumstances would be appreciated.

Oct 25, 2009
NFHS 2013 Rule Book

10-2-3
ART. 3 ... The duties include those listed in 10-2-1 and also the following:
e. call game if conditions become unfit for play.
g. make final decision on points not covered by the rules.
h. forfeit the game for prescribed infractions by spectators, players or bench personnel.

Nov 14, 2011
Just because someone wearing a uniform acts in a particular manner does not make it right. You can call it "real world" all you want, it is a lack of professionalism and demonstration of week game management.

This guy was wrong.

The HU is paid to perform a job, to keep control of the game. If someone outside the fence is controlling the playing of the game then the HU has and should take actions to keep control of his game. Several posters here have clearly stated that the HU has removed a problem parent, yet you seem to have a problem with it. You have the mentality of "it's not in the rules" or "it's not my responsibility". Call the TD or UIC to take care of the problem, it isn't MY problem.

The tournament we were at this past weekend I again saw a parent removed. Wait for it..... By the HU, not the TD or UIC. The HU was 100% correct to take swift action against this nimrod before it escalated too far. He didn't have time to call the UIC or TD which were located at the other side of the park. Does this make the HU wrong because it wasn't in his umpire manifesto? Absolutely not. Parents, coaches and players expect for the umpire crew to keep control of the game and that especially includes problem parents. You are correct, coaches ARE responsible for their fans BUT the umpires are responsible for the entire game. If the coach won't address the problem the HU should. Like I have stated and several on here has stated, HU has ejected several parents from games. That will continue to happen, but obviously never by you because you "have enough to do on the field".

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
The HU is paid to perform a job, to keep control of the game. If someone outside the fence is controlling the playing of the game then the HU has and should take actions to keep control of his game. Several posters here have clearly stated that the HU has removed a problem parent, yet you seem to have a problem with it. You have the mentality of "it's not in the rules" or "it's not my responsibility". Call the TD or UIC to take care of the problem, it isn't MY problem.

The tournament we were at this past weekend I again saw a parent removed. Wait for it..... By the HU, not the TD or UIC. The HU was 100% correct to take swift action against this nimrod before it escalated too far. He didn't have time to call the UIC or TD which were located at the other side of the park. Does this make the HU wrong because it wasn't in his umpire manifesto? Absolutely not. Parents, coaches and players expect for the umpire crew to keep control of the game and that especially includes problem parents. You are correct, coaches ARE responsible for their fans BUT the umpires are responsible for the entire game. If the coach won't address the problem the HU should. Like I have stated and several on here has stated, HU has ejected several parents from games. That will continue to happen, but obviously never by you because you "have enough to do on the field".

You can beat that drum until you are blue in the face, it is inappropriate. Unless directed to do so by the tournament, the umpire was out of line just to acknowledge the fan. Who gives a rat's rear what the fans have to say? What happens if the spectator tells the umpire to piss off? What is the umpire going to do then? The 'GAME' is ON the field, not outside the fences. You want someone to police the alleged adults, knock yourself out. Next thing you know you are going to want the umpire to break up a fight on the field.

How much training and experience do you have as an umpire? I train umpires who have worked all levels of softball, have for more than 15 years. I was trained by some of the best softball had to offer. I've got a little bit of experience in this field. I even present a pretty good game management seminar. The "spectator" is not part of it.

You can do what you want at the local level, that is up to you. You will get umpires to do what you want. In other cases, you may lose some decent umpires simply because they want to umpire the game, not babysit you. But when it comes down to it, the umpire should ALWAYS be a third party contracted to officiate a ball game. You want security guards, that is another company.

Oct 25, 2009
You can beat that drum until you are blue in the face, it is inappropriate. Unless directed to do so by the tournament, the umpire was out of line just to acknowledge the fan. Who gives a rat's rear what the fans have to say? What happens if the spectator tells the umpire to piss off? What is the umpire going to do then? The 'GAME' is ON the field, not outside the fences. You want someone to police the alleged adults, knock yourself out. Next thing you know you are going to want the umpire to break up a fight on the field.

How much training and experience do you have as an umpire? I train umpires who have worked all levels of softball, have for more than 15 years. I was trained by some of the best softball had to offer. I've got a little bit of experience in this field. I even present a pretty good game management seminar. The "spectator" is not part of it.

You can do what you want at the local level, that is up to you. You will get umpires to do what you want. In other cases, you may lose some decent umpires simply because they want to umpire the game, not babysit you. But when it comes down to it, the umpire should ALWAYS be a third party contracted to officiate a ball game. You want security guards, that is another company.

Makes perfect sense to me. But it works many times when the umpires "eject" unruly spectators. After all, those kind of spectators probably don't know the rules. Otherwise, they wouldn't be acting like that anyway.

To pass along a quote: "Don't be THAT parent!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Carbajal