Umpire ejects spectator (video)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
Now find in the rules where is says what the prescribed infractions by a spectator are.

Jun 22, 2008
And once again, where do you see in 10-2-3-c where it says a spectator may be ejected by the umpire? Player, coach or bench personell. Spectator is not mentioned.

Feb 3, 2011
Sorry I did a post and run, but I've been in softball meetings all evening. :)

By entering this tournament, teams agreed to the event rules, and one of the rules was that each team was responsible for its spectators. There was no UIC (relatively small tourney), so the TD/asst TD would handle anything that was usually under a UIC's purview. This was a championship game, so the asst TD was present. The TD was watching the 14u championship on another field until he was called over.

The parent beside me was counseling and encouraging her team's players. She's a friend of mine and we've coached against one another in the past. Our DDs are on rival teams, but the girls love each other. The guy who was ejected is a strength and conditioning coach who works with players from a lot of different teams. He only knew 2 girls on that team and there had not been any back and forth between him and the umpire.

The assistant TD was right there. If the spectator's behavior had been out of line, I would've expected him to have said something or removed him or us from that area. There were only 3 of us positioned directly behind the backstop.

In this case, the umpire was given his authority by the TD and the TD then came to back up and enforce the umpire's ruling. I still believe that the umpire should've called time after this batter's turn at bat was completed and then spoken briefly with the asst TD to have the individual moved. I was taken aback when the umpire yelled "Get!" to an adult.

Oct 25, 2009
The way I've seen it applied is "if you don't leave now the game will be forfeited." That works. That's the prescription.

It doesn't seem to be written in legalese. But it's there for interpretation. Or maybe commonsense. It's more there than I care to type on here. The app is available.

Nov 14, 2011
You are living in a different world if you don't expect to be removed by the HU if you act in a way that warrants it. You keep going back to the rule book as if it is 100% gospel. We both know that they are not. I recently had a discussion here about illegal pitches and the fact that the UIC can choose whether or not to enforce it at the tournament. So if they can pick and choose which rules to enforce then I would say that the UIC or HU have the authority to eject a moron parent for causing problems. So the attitude of "show me the rule" doesn't work. I can show a HU or FU the rule on illegal pitch and they won't enforce it because the UIC said not to? How does that work. Next tournament we will not enforce leaving base early, and the next tournament we can not enforce dropped third strikes because the kids don't know what it means?

Do parents get ejected when they don't deserve? Sure they do, but I would suggest that there are more parents that need the boot that actually get it! Have you ever seen a HU change a pitch call because he was getting verbally assaulted by an idiot parent?

Jul 28, 2008
You are living in a different world if you don't expect to be removed by the HU if you act in a way that warrants it. You keep going back to the rule book as if it is 100% gospel. We both know that they are not. I recently had a discussion here about illegal pitches and the fact that the UIC can choose whether or not to enforce it at the tournament. So if they can pick and choose which rules to enforce then I would say that the UIC or HU have the authority to eject a moron parent for causing problems. So the attitude of "show me the rule" doesn't work. I can show a HU or FU the rule on illegal pitch and they won't enforce it because the UIC said not to? How does that work. Next tournament we will not enforce leaving base early, and the next tournament we can not enforce dropped third strikes because the kids don't know what it means?

Do parents get ejected when they don't deserve? Sure they do, but I would suggest that there are more parents that need the boot that actually get it! Have you ever seen a HU change a pitch call because he was getting verbally assaulted by an idiot parent?

First off, the TD is the one who decides which rules to enforce, not the UIC. Then they inform the UIC, who informs the umpires. They also decide things like having game time limits and allowing you to bat your roster. The rulebook as written for most alphabet soups are for championship play.

As for the PU ejecting a spectator, you have had several seasoned umpires tell you what their responsibilities are and that isn't one of them. It may not be the answer you like, but it is the correct answer.

Feb 3, 2011
First off, the TD is the one who decides which rules to enforce, not the UIC. Then they inform the UIC, who informs the umpires. They also decide things like having game time limits and allowing you to bat your roster. The rulebook as written for most alphabet soups are for championship play.

As for the PU ejecting a spectator, you have had several seasoned umpires tell you what their responsibilities are and that isn't one of them. It may not be the answer you like, but it is the correct answer.

That's exactly right. In the posted example, while being confronted by the umpire, the assistant TD told the spectator that he would "impact his team", even though he was not with either team. The word 'forfeit' was mentioned by the TD. The umpire wanted the spectator removed, but it was the TD and assistant TD who actually carried out the ejection.

Teams which entered the tournament granting final decision-making authority to the TD.