Umpire ejects spectator (video)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011

Following the ms244 thread, here's a real-world example of an umpire-fan interaction.

The person who says "from the facility" at the 0:18 mark is the assistant tournament director. The TD speaks at 1:00.

I'm fine with the TD or assistant TD saying that the area behind the backstop is off-limits, but it's my opinion that the umpire slowed the game too much to deal with a fan. Both the batter and catcher looked back to see what was taking so long to get the action re-started.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
I didn't take the time to watch the video, but umpires don't eject spectators. They are in charge of everything on the field. Their best weapon is to have both teams retreat to the dugout until the offending spectator leaves. The other option that should also be used to to have the TD come over and eject the unruly spectator.

I didn't take the time to watch the video, but umpires don't eject spectators. They are in charge of everything on the field. Their best weapon is to have both teams retreat to the dugout until the offending spectator leaves. The other option that should also be used to to have the TD come over and eject the unruly spectator.

An umpire has every right to eject anyone that has an effect on the game he is working either on ...or off the field of play...and he gave the offender one minute to vacate the premises..... if that person doesn't leave he can actually forfeit the game and award the non violators team as the winner ....albeit this is in extreme cases.

Nov 14, 2011

The umpire is in charge of the game and everything that effect the game and its outcome. If there is a parent, grandparent, etc that is changing the game they have the right and should remove the person. You don't think that the umpire should eject a parent that is verbally abusing the players on the field?

Jun 22, 2008
Already covered in the other thread. The umpire should never address spectators directly. If there is a problem, they should call the TD or UIC to handle the situation.

Nov 14, 2011
And like covered in the other thread that never happens. HU should and will take action against problem that affects his game. It has happened many times in the past and will continue to happen (and should). Do you want the HU to get out his cell phone and call the TD or UIC to handle the situation while holding up the game or should he/she just handle it themselves? Some issues are common sense and easily handled by telling the problem to leave the game. No need to call the UIC or TD.

The OP of this thread is simply proving what has been stated in the other thread. The HU has and can throw out a parent for conduct that effects his game that he is officiating. While some posters like MTR state that the HU doesn't have the authority based on ASA rules, it happens all the time. If the HU was out of line for doing this wouldn't you think that the UIC or TD would not allow it? I guarantee the HU will umpire the next game on his schedule after removing a problem parent.

Jun 22, 2008
Just because someone found and posted video of it happening does not make it within the rules or authority of the umpire. You can claim it is within their power all you want, but unless you have attended umpire clinics and studied the rule book you are simply stating your personal opinion, not facts.

Oct 25, 2009
One of the umpire's responsibilities is to ensure the safety and order of the game. Art. 3. h. The umpire can make decisions based on that responsibility. It could be lightning, it could be unruly fans, etc. I've seen games stopped on a couple of occasions because of headlights shining in from the parking lot.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Sooooo....why exactly did the spectator get thrown out??? Is questioning an umpire's strike/ball call from the stands affecting how the girls play the game? IMO, the only one exhibiting out of control behavior here is the umpire. And if causing an influence on the girls playing the game was criteria for ejection, the gravel-voiced female screaming at the batter to make good contact should have been ejected long before the ejectee (who appears to be unafiliated with either team). IMO, this is just a classic example of amateur hour at the ballpark. I'm sure the umpires also were asked to size the strike zone appropriate to the pitchers' abilities and game score so it would be "fair".

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Already covered in the other thread. The umpire should never address spectators directly. If there is a problem, they should call the TD or UIC to handle the situation.

Not arguing, but a legit question as I've seen a few parents asked to head to the parking lot. How does that work for HS ( FED ), that's where I've seen the most tossed? Always been done by the PU, even in a double header where they swap places. So I'm "assuming" that means neither are UIC.

Thanks for the clarification in advance.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying