Umpire ejects spectator (video)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Whether they have the authority to do it or not, I see a parent tossed a couple of times a year, in my area. The ump gives them a warning to shut up and if they don't, bye bye. I have never seen a guy argue that the ump doesn't have the authority. I guess if they are dumb enough to be yelling they are dumb enough to think that they can be tossed.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Whether they have the authority to do it or not, I see a parent tossed a couple of times a year, in my area. The ump gives them a warning to shut up and if they don't, bye bye. I have never seen a guy argue that the ump doesn't have the authority. I guess if they are dumb enough to be yelling they are dumb enough to think that they can be tossed.

Thanks for my best laugh of the day!

Jun 22, 2008
Not arguing, but a legit question as I've seen a few parents asked to head to the parking lot. How does that work for HS ( FED ), that's where I've seen the most tossed? Always been done by the PU, even in a double header where they swap places. So I'm "assuming" that means neither are UIC.

Thanks for the clarification in advance.

When I refer to UIC I am talking about a tournament where there is a head umpire who is overseeing all of the umpires at that tournament. An umpire on the field should not engage spectators, it only escalates the situation and delays the game. High school games are always suppose to have an administrator on site during the game. If the umpire has a problem with a spectator during a high school game they should ask the site administrator to handle it.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
When I refer to UIC I am talking about a tournament where there is a head umpire who is overseeing all of the umpires at that tournament. An umpire on the field should not engage spectators, it only escalates the situation and delays the game. High school games are always suppose to have an administrator on site during the game. If the umpire has a problem with a spectator during a high school game they should ask the site administrator to handle it.

Again I can only go by what I've seen over the past 30 years in our state. It's always been the ump to physically make the "toss" call. I have seen a few times him give the "toss" and the school officer walk the parent out of the facility.

The art of umpiring is not my strong point, lol. Would or could an individual state sanction empower the umps to make that call?

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Not arguing, but a legit question as I've seen a few parents asked to head to the parking lot. How does that work for HS ( FED ), that's where I've seen the most tossed?

Here is the high school rule:

Rule 10-1: Any umpire has the authority to order a player, coach or bench personnel to do or refrain from doing anything which affects the administering of these rules, and to enforce prescribed penalties.

Notice that the rule gives the umpires no direct authority over spectators. As already noted, the umpire should consult the team's head coach, AD or on-site administrator and let them take care of the problem.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Here is the high school rule:

Rule 10-1: Any umpire has the authority to order a player, coach or bench personnel to do or refrain from doing anything which affects the administering of these rules, and to enforce prescribed penalties.

Notice that the rule gives the umpires no direct authority over spectators. As already noted, the umpire should consult the team's head coach, AD or on-site administrator and let them take care of the problem.

Thanks Comp and Bret.

Thanks Bret for the rule, guess I'll be stubborn one last time. lol

I see the rule, but don't see where it excludes Umps from handling spectators. Is there a written rule, or is this more of a "golden rule"?

Thanks, just learning new stuff.

Jun 22, 2008
FED 10-2-3-c eject or restrict to the dugout/bench a player, coach or bench personnel.

Nowhere in that citation does it mention the ability to eject spectators.

4-3 covers forfeits, and nowhere in the rule does it mention anything about spectators.

And, under the ASA rules regarding forfeit the only mention of spectator is if the umpire is physically attacked by a spectator.

but to this specific incident if an umpire is going to toss everyone in the stands that yells out something about his strike zone the stands are going to be pretty empty....I can only assume this was someone who had been yelling and screaming at the umpire all game, still pretty thin skin for an umpire in my book.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zwhickcar