Umpire ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ ratings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Have to give you that one. Yo ump, you suck. Not right now, but earlier

Not gonna lie, I've definitely had the borderline call push me over the edge when it was really six bad calls prior to that I should've argued. "I'd be fine with this one if you had gotten all the others right!"

Had the same bad ump I just talked about again tonight.

He somehow didn't see a foul ball off a batter's foot. It was super obvious, especially because she didn't run and just kinda half hobbled toward first after he called nothing.

Then, with a runner on third, batter walked, rounded first, slowed down and continued on to second. She MAY have stopped briefly, which of course is legal. He said the pitcher was on the pitcher's plate so the runner couldn't go. This guy is so trash and he has no interest in even trying to get stuff right.

I wish I had an extra copy of the NFHS rules book because I'd love to give him one after the season ends.

May 29, 2015
The worst manager about this is Mr. Yankee. Aaron Boone. Argued a call that was a strike according to strike o matic and then said the pitch may have been a strike but he missed of others.

He's almost if not worse, than Larry Bowa.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

But Aaron is so remorseful and embarrassed after the fact ... :rolleyes:

That actually tied him with David Bell at number 6 for the year.

May 17, 2023
🤣 that looks more like batters that don't want to be wrong finding out they should have swung.
2x embarrassing LOL
That's the part that makes it so interesting. Kind of like the out/safe at first. So many managers were very quick to blow a fuse over a call. Now there is a simple resolution and amazing how many times the umpire was right or so close (even in slow mo) it could go either way.

Managers are definitely more hesitant to challenge than they would have been to argue.

Feb 15, 2017
Not gonna lie, I've definitely had the borderline call push me over the edge when it was really six bad calls prior to that I should've argued. "I'd be fine with this one if you had gotten all the others right!"

Had the same bad ump I just talked about again tonight.

He somehow didn't see a foul ball off a batter's foot. It was super obvious, especially because she didn't run and just kinda half hobbled toward first after he called nothing.

Then, with a runner on third, batter walked, rounded first, slowed down and continued on to second. She MAY have stopped briefly, which of course is legal. He said the pitcher was on the pitcher's plate so the runner couldn't go. This guy is so trash and he has no interest in even trying to get stuff right.

I wish I had an extra copy of the NFHS rules book because I'd love to give him one after the season ends.
Back in the day the FSL used to issue a rule book taped shut. If it came back opened you paid a fine. There were a few umpires who weren't smart enough to keep an extra rule book...

Jun 11, 2013
And the issue with the system it still assumes that the strike zone is a fixed ratio from the top of the knees to the top of the zone, which is not anatomically correct. I think close call sports has covered this as well. To be accurate you would need to data points from every player and assume they have the same stance. Which is not accurate.

They measure every player.

May 29, 2015
Managers are definitely more hesitant to challenge than they would have been to argue.

Now ... if they were only as hesitant to argue as they are to challenge ...

The other interesting trend is the number of MLB ejections that come AFTER a video review changes the call. Then the coach goes out and yells at the umpire who agreed with them. :rolleyes: Again, evidence that we don't really want umpires to get the call right, we want them to call it our way.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Now ... if they were only as hesitant to argue as they are to challenge ...

The other interesting trend is the number of MLB ejections that come AFTER a video review changes the call. Then the coach goes out and yells at the umpire who agreed with them. :rolleyes: Again, evidence that we don't really want umpires to get the call right, we want them to call it our way.

This is the one I don't understand. Not only is it an automatic ejection, but that umpire didn't even make the call! They do bungle replay way more often than they should (the conspiracy theorist in me believes they do it on purpose so they can tout how often umps are actually correct), but why yell at the guy on the field? He didn't decide anything.

May 29, 2015
I can't keep track of the right thread for this ... sorry if I am wrong ...

Four consecutive MLB ejections (188 - 189) and (190 - 191) ... for arguing correct strike calls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid