Ump HBP - Players Ejected

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 3, 2012
That catcher was set up outside, and she looks like she tried as hard as she could to get the ball. She had to go a long way to get it and just missed it. Maybe some history prior to this pitch, but the catcher sold it real well if they were trying to hit her. Also, the umpire is way inside also and surprisingly not behind the catcher at all. I normally see umps use the catcher for more protection. Maybe that's a factor also.

Feb 3, 2011
Context helps us to solve crimes, but it can also lead us to create a crime that might not exist. I wasn't there, but nothing in the posted video demonstrates clear intent by the pitcher and catcher to cause harm to anyone. Sometimes, pitches just miss. The fact that a pitcher has "pretty good control" means little in the context of sports. The best athletes in the world can strike out or shoot air balls or fall down with no defenders around them.

Why not call a 30-second time out, get their coach onto the field right away, and then ask the players directly what just happened? That would have made for a much better video. ;) But no, there is nothing in that clip which establishes criminal intent on the part of anyone. The fact that there was a conflict the inning prior is mere coincidence.

Jun 11, 2013
I would like to see the C in some other games, but a decent 14U C doesn't let too many pitches that are over the plate go by clean. I doubt you could prove it in court, but I don't blame the umpire for throwing them out.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
There is more to the story than what is being offered. This umpire didn't hesitate which tells me there was already something brewing before he was hit

As I tried to outline in the OP, and in subsequent responses, there was definitely something brewing before the ump was hit (coach was upset about non-HBP call). If you have a specific question, I will do my best to answer it based on what I observed on the scene, and what I've seen in reviewing the video on my camera.

I spoke to an ump-friend this morning who knows, and has worked with, this particular ump. If this ump tosses you, you earned it.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
That catcher was set up outside, and she looks like she tried as hard as she could to get the ball. She had to go a long way to get it and just missed it. Maybe some history prior to this pitch, but the catcher sold it real well if they were trying to hit her. Also, the umpire is way inside also and surprisingly not behind the catcher at all. I normally see umps use the catcher for more protection. Maybe that's a factor also.

The OP and my subsequent posts have outlined the history to the best of my knowledge based on my observations at the time of the game and review of the game video on my camera. I'm happy to try to answer any other questions.

From what I've seen, when a C sets up that far outside, umps tend to stay where they can see the strike zone.

Jul 29, 2016

I don't know that I agree. My daughter is a 14U catcher, and she can get her glove on just about any pitch as long as its not two feet or more above the strike zone. The only way I see this catcher missing by this much is if she's setting up for a pitch out away, and the pitcher throws it inside. If that's the case, I think the pitcher is the rogue.

But I tend to give the catchers the benefit of the doubt. My score book always has wild pitches instead of passed balls.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Another factor just came to mind...C is set up way outside for a 1-0 count, on the first batter of the inning. She was set up in the same place for the first pitch, too.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
I spoke to an ump-friend this morning who knows, and has worked with, this particular ump. If this ump tosses you, you earned it.

That would be me, and yes, if he tosses you, you earned it. I've had the privilege of working a few games with him and I learned a lot in those few games. He is a very experienced and knowledgeable umpire who will take the time to explain the rules, but he also doesn't tolerate shenanigans or people playing dumb. He is firm, but fair. I've also coached in games that he has umpired, so I've been on the receiving end as well. As a coach, you better not step on his field yelling and screaming. I learned that very quickly. This looks to me like he was done with the coach's shenanigans. That particular tournament was being run by USA/ASA, and like I told Eric, you have to be rated at a certain level to be invited to go umpire those games and there's all kinds of USA staff crawling around at any given time, and he was possibly being evaluated for other assignments during this weekend. The decision to toss the players and the coach was not easy.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
That would be me, and yes, if he tosses you, you earned it. I've had the privilege of working a few games with him and I learned a lot in those few games. He is a very experienced and knowledgeable umpire who will take the time to explain the rules, but he also doesn't tolerate shenanigans or people playing dumb. He is firm, but fair. I've also coached in games that he has umpired, so I've been on the receiving end as well. As a coach, you better not step on his field yelling and screaming. I learned that very quickly. This looks to me like he was done with the coach's shenanigans. That particular tournament was being run by USA/ASA, and like I told Eric, you have to be rated at a certain level to be invited to go umpire those games and there's all kinds of USA staff crawling around at any given time, and he was possibly being evaluated for other assignments during this weekend. The decision to toss the players and the coach was not easy.

Just for clarification, it was only the players who were ejected.

Thanks for your input on the ump, CPEM.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA