Ump HBP - Players Ejected

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I think her arm too. Never stiffens for impact. I suppose if it was really, really off target a catcher might not stiffen but how does it hit the ump in that case. Pretty suspicious.

More on the "suspicious" pile, for sure. IMO, these might be the most damning details of all.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I doubt the pitcher/catcher did that on their own so I hope the coach was tossed as well. Actually, if I was the ump I would have tossed the coach and told the pitcher/catcher if they ever did that again there would be consequences.

I think you're probably right, but I also don't think you toss the coach without knowing. Or at least having a really good idea (like in the clip MNDad posted where it followed a lengthy conference with the coach). I don't think we should put umpires in the position of guessing, especially since, in that situation, the ump is obviously going to be angry (and maybe even a little scared).

Unless there's some automatic coach ejection rule I'm not aware of, I don't like the idea of just arbitrarily ejecting a coach for something he/she may or may not have done.

Jun 12, 2015
My guess is that they set it up to look as unintentional as they could to avoid getting tossed. I imagine the coach helped with that too. Neither of our bracket level first year 12U pitchers would miss on an outside pitch by that much. And if they do miss it's probably going to be going the other way, not coming inside that much. Just conjecture but it seems unlikely they didn't mean to do it, to me.

Jun 8, 2016
Unless there's some automatic coach ejection rule I'm not aware of, I don't like the idea of just arbitrarily ejecting a coach for something he/she may or may not have done.

Well, in that case he cannot be sure that the pitcher/catcher intentionally hit him right?

Jun 22, 2008
1st batter, top half of the next inning right after a confrontation with the coach? Yes, the coach had plenty of time between innings to set it up just as in the older video where he had a conference and then the umpire was hit. And also yes, the context of what went on previously makes all the difference in the world. The video alone doesn't tell the story, by itself its just a pitcher and catcher getting mixed up.

I had a very similar situation happen last Friday night where I could have easily tossed the pitcher, catcher and coach if I had been hit but I knew it was simply a total screw up between the pitcher and catcher. There had been no issues the entire game, no complaints from either coach about anything and only minimal grumbling from the stands about zone. Catcher set up outside and the instant the pitcher released the ball she started yelling sorry, sorry and the ball was high inside right at my face. I was able to duck the pitch and I knew it was simply one that got away from the pitcher.

May 18, 2009
I’m not going to bash the kids. As a pitchers parent I’ve seen wild pitches and I have the bruising to prove it. Where does my DD miss, inside. You say first pitch was in dirt. Second was high. Both inside. Could just be the pitcher was off and the catcher wasn’t ready for it.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
There is more to the story than what is being offered. This umpire didn't hesitate which tells me there was already something brewing before he was hit

Dec 11, 2010
There is more to the story than what is being offered. This umpire didn't hesitate which tells me there was already something brewing before he was hit

Another very good observation. This one has red flags all over it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad