Turnover vs. peel drop

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
A peel drop is not as a radical a departure from the fastball as the turnover. So, it is easier to learn.

The turnover is thrown quite a bit differently than the fastball. Most kids get more movement with a turnover than a peel, but it is harder to learn.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
For younger pitchers, the peel is easier to learn and there is less stress on her shoulder.

Oct 22, 2009
When I introduce the drop, If the kids is real "wristy"--has a quick release with wrist and fingers, I try the turnover first, those with slower releases and push the ball more I start with the peel.

Sometimes I have to change them, but generally it works out pretty good this way.

Mar 15, 2010
DD was never able to throw an effective drop with the peel. When she threw the pitch it was nothing more than a fastball with a greater downward slope. Generated very few strikeouts but was very effective at generating ground balls. With the turnover she gets a very significant drop at the end of the pitch. From the batters perspective the turnover drop starts off looking like a waist high fastball. By the end of the pitch it is almost in the dirt. Very effective and generates significant number of strikeouts BUT it also requires a catcher who can effectively drop and block otherwise you have a lot of dropped 3rd strike situations. One additional word of advice. Like other posters have said the peel was quite easy to learn. The turnover drop was not. It has taken her a year to throw effectively and she still has a ways to go before I would consider the pitch as consistent and effective as her fastball, change up or rise.

Jul 26, 2010
Peel drop is much easier to learn and teach, with much less chance of injury. Roll-over can generate more spin for girls who lack finger strength. Roll-over is telegraphed often by shorter stride and higher release though. Both can easily be made into drop-curves if that is the desired outcome.

Cat uses the peel, seems to work for her, let me know when you hear about a roll-over pitcher who's as successful.

-W

Mar 23, 2010
My DD's PC taught her the turnover drop. She is 12 and it is an amazing pitch for her. She has good speed and the drop off is phenomenal. Her TB coach loves it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi