"turning the wrong way" at first

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2010
Chicago Area
what is the rule per NSA? I was told by an older experienced ump a few years back that the runner must be making an concerted effort to run to 2nd to be tagged out , not just turn into fair territory. Got it called the other way tonight and the ump made a big stink about it. Just wondering what the real rule is. From the playnsa.com website:

Sec. 8 The baserunner is out:

i. When the batter-runner legally overruns 1st base, attempts to run to 2nd base, and is legally touched while off the base.

Sec. 9 Baserunner is not out:

g. When a batter-runner overruns 1st base after touching it and makes no attempt to advance to the next base.

Dec 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
You had a poorly trained ump make a very poor call. Worst thing is if you try to protest and he finds out he was wrong, he'll say she made an attempt.

Jul 28, 2008
You had a poorly trained ump make a very poor call. Worst thing is if you try to protest and he finds out he was wrong, he'll say she made an attempt.

That's why before you protest, you make sure to ask the umpire if she made an attempt. Armed with that information, you know if you can win your protest or not.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I teach to turn to the left, so all of my players in the last 30 years would have been out.
I don't like to turn my back to the ball, if even for an instance.

I'll watch the girls on tv today and see if they prefer one or the other.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I teach to turn to the left, so all of my players in the last 30 years would have been out.

Since the matter of an attempt is so subjective (and non-protestable) based solely on how the umpire views the runner's efforts, I think this is a bad thing to be teaching. Runner has a coach which has a much better view of the field and any play unfolding and can give the runner better and more directions long before the runner can even find the exact location of the ball.

You need to remember, just the dip of a shoulder or an aggressive turn can give an umpire the impression the runner may be making an attempt to advance. And it really doesn't make any difference what the runner, coach or fans think.

Mar 18, 2010
Pennsylvania

I'll watch the girls on tv today and see if they prefer one or the other.

This is how I coach as well. I teach my girls to run straight through 1B (staying 1-2' in foul territory), turn their bodies to their left (never taking a step toward 2B) while stopping, and find the ball. It ends up looking like a lead after a pitch, just a sliding stop past 1B looking into fair territory.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
This is how I coach as well. I teach my girls to run straight through 1B (staying 1-2' in foul territory), turn their bodies to their left (never taking a step toward 2B) while stopping, and find the ball. It ends up looking like a lead after a pitch, just a sliding stop past 1B looking into fair territory.

Maybe, but a step is not required. I just don't think it is worth the risk.

May 12, 2010
Chicago Area
thanks for the info guys. When I asked the ump if she made an attempt (I used the word effort) to go to 2nd all he kept saying was "she turned into fair territory" and then told me to get off the field. Nice guy. I went to speak to the UIC (the father of the ump who made the call) about it, he asked did she turn into fair territory? So apparently that constitutes an attempt in their mind. Sounds like this call / rule is open to some judgement and would be pretty hard to protest. Came at a critical time in the game too....(for my team).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie