Turning the barrel

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Well, I was concerned that DD's handset was a tad far back, making it more tempting to drag/pull than turn, but based on these samplings, she's fine. Especially looking at Lauren Chamberlain.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
The pictures posted are at different times. The toe touch is what I go by. It's the end of preparing to swing, the weight is still back the shoulders are turned in 30 degrees and the back forearm is level to the ground. The hands are shoulder height the barrel is cocked or slotted. The knob is pointing back toward the catcher. There are other things, but the position represents an ideal geometry question/answer.

I'll post a few more pic. not that other positions aren't important. Although this is the launch position the position right before the swing is initiated.

HankAaron5.jpglaunch1a.jpg

Ideal launch positions

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Here's some more flame to the fire of turning the barrel.

giphy.gif

May 3, 2014
Looks to me like he is pulling the barrel downwards as well. That's what confuses me about the clips posted where an instructor demonstrates turning the barrel. It seems really over exaggerated and then you look at MLB players and I don't see the same action.

Our DD's take everything literally, so if you practice turning the barrel like an instructor/expert illustrates, they literally try to incorporate this in their everyday swing... scares me a little bit. I don't see the best hitters doing it to the extent that instructors demonstrate... I wonder why?

For example if you look at the 1 hour 11 min mark of this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Od26VW8U-c&list=PLY_7NSmHvvPSgBXp_11EuiW6nPyKUZ0QH&index=13

That seems a little extreme to me...

It has to be extreme. Turning the forearms is very unnatural to most hitters. Watch this part

[video]https://youtu.be/5Od26VW8U-c?t=1h9m[/video]

And watch this part - really understand this part.

[video]https://youtu.be/5Od26VW8U-c?t=1h9m25s[/video]

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina

Thanks, Shawn. Where is their door-knocker knuckle alignment? Had a TB coach try to change DD, and when I showed her MLB hitters, they said, well, you guessed it: "That's baseball.''

Anyway. Another thing that I'm interested in is the angle from head to toe at launch and at contact. I think too many softball players at the TB level have their heads too far forward. They're closer to 'straight up' than the best hitters. That might be a sign that you're not using the back hip as a pivot point and you'll also have more trouble swinging up into the contact. Might do a little research on that because it's not hard to do with some side-view photos and a protractor.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
It has to be extreme. Turning the forearms is very unnatural to most hitters. Watch this part

[video]https://youtu.be/5Od26VW8U-c?t=1h9m[/video]

And watch this part - really understand this part.

[video]https://youtu.be/5Od26VW8U-c?t=1h9m25s[/video]

I believe Julray's point is that what is demonstrated ... take for example the "laser demo" below ... is over exaggerated to a point that he doesn't see what is taking place via application of the Hanson Principle. He states quite clearly that his daughter will take such instruction literally, as do many female hitters, and duplicate what is seen ... and he doesn't see what is demonstrated in the swings of elite hitters when he studies them.

Laser Demo:
Laser_Demo.gif

Hanson Principle:
Always compare what anybody tells you about the swing to slow motion clips of the best hitters in the world”.
-- Mark Hanson

I personally believe that TM is after a particular action. I believe what Julray is looking for is what that action is and where is that particular action seen in the clips of the pros that he looks at.

p.s.
Edited to add another demo ....

HI_Demo.gif

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Another thing that I'm interested in is the angle from head to toe at launch and at contact. I think too many softball players at the TB level have their heads too far forward. They're closer to 'straight up' than the best hitters. That might be a sign that you're not using the back hip as a pivot point and you'll also have more trouble swinging up into the contact. Might do a little research on that because it's not hard to do with some side-view photos and a protractor.

FYI, I've checked about 12 MLB hitters at contact and found that their angle from ankle to nose (at contact) is generally 62-68 degrees. Lowest I found was 60 (Troy Tullowitski). Then checked DD's teammates, and most of them are closer to 70. Lauren Chamberlain's angle in the front toss video that we often see here is 75-80. But checked Alex Hugo and Sierra Romero, and they're mid-high 60s. Is any of this pertinent to this discussion? I don't know, but I do think those in the 70s are probably not turning the barrel and hitting up through contact as well as those who are in the 60s.

Dec 4, 2013
Thoughts? Is Sierra turning the barrel immediately like we see in the instruction I posted earlier

She's turning it. Not as good as Miggy, Manny, Bustos. She is excellent but I don't think I would use her as a model swing.

May 3, 2014
I believe Julray's point is that what is demonstrated ... take for example the "laser demo" below ... is over exaggerated to a point that he doesn't see what is taking place via application of the Hanson Principle. He states quite clearly that his daughter will take such instruction literally, as do many female hitters, and duplicate what is seen ... and he doesn't see what is demonstrated in the swings of elite hitters when he studies them.

Laser Demo:
Laser_Demo.gif

Hanson Principle:
Always compare what anybody tells you about the swing to slow motion clips of the best hitters in the world”.
-- Mark Hanson

I personally believe that TM is after a particular action. I believe what Julray is looking for is what that action is and where is that particular action seen in the clips of the pros that he looks at.

p.s.
Edited to add another demo ....

HI_Demo.gif

I always thought the Hanson principle was inaccurate. That's why you had so many people teaching positions instead of understanding how the pros passed through those positions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA