Turning the barrel

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Here's some more flame to the fire of turning the barrel.

giphy.gif
Extreme inside pitch

May 12, 2016
I believe Julray's point is that what is demonstrated ... take for example the "laser demo" below ... is over exaggerated to a point that he doesn't see what is taking place via application of the Hanson Principle. He states quite clearly that his daughter will take such instruction literally, as do many female hitters, and duplicate what is seen ... and he doesn't see what is demonstrated in the swings of elite hitters when he studies them.

Laser Demo:
Laser_Demo.gif

Hanson Principle:
Always compare what anybody tells you about the swing to slow motion clips of the best hitters in the world”.
-- Mark Hanson

I personally believe that TM is after a particular action. I believe what Julray is looking for is what that action is and where is that particular action seen in the clips of the pros that he looks at.

p.s.
Edited to add another demo ....

HI_Demo.gif

Thanks for laying it out for me. I'm not seeing anybody doing it to this extreme. And most girls take what we teach them very literally.

May 12, 2016
She's turning it. Not as good as Miggy, Manny, Bustos. She is excellent but I don't think I would use her as a model swing.

Small stature, lots of power, one of the best hitters ever in NCAA... hard to argue with the results. Especially being so small, and generating so much power.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I always thought the Hanson principle was inaccurate. That's why you had so many people teaching positions instead of understanding how the pros passed through those positions.

While not full proof, the Hanson Principle is a very good filter. It's a tool to help a player filter in potentially good information and filter out potentially bad information. Helps a player traveling on this journey take more steps forward and less steps backward. Over time, taking more steps forward, and fewer steps backward, makes a big difference in terms of what is accomplished.

Hanson Principle:
Always compare what anybody tells you about the swing to slow motion clips of the best hitters in the world”.
-- Mark Hanson

Jul 27, 2017
Definitely not full proof. The Hanson Principle is only as good as how you can "see" the movement in the video. Not very many out there that can do it well... and slow motion is over rated.

And I agree with Ray... seems to have evolved into teaching by position.

While not full proof, the Hanson Principle is a very good filter. It's a tool to help a player filter in potentially good information and filter out potentially bad information. Helps a player traveling on this journey take more steps forward and less steps backward. Over time, taking more steps forward, and fewer steps backward, makes a big difference in terms of what is accomplished.

Hanson Principle:
-- Mark Hanson

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Definitely not full proof. The Hanson Principle is only as good as how you can "see" the movement in the video. Not very many out there that can do it well... and slow motion is over rated.

And I agree with Ray... seems to have evolved into teaching by position.

The Hanson Principle specifically states viewing "slow motion".

Hanson Principle:
-- Mark Hanson

The Hanson Principle is a very good tool for filtering out nonsense.

Jul 27, 2017
Exactly... that's one reason why the Hanson Principle isn't full proof and over rated. It had its place 10 years ago...

The Hanson Principle specifically states viewing "slow motion".

Hanson Principle:
-- Mark Hanson

The Hanson Principle is a very good tool for filtering out nonsense.

Jul 27, 2017
Since the Hanson Principle is being mentioned here I wonder how many think these two clips are creating the same action? One is momentum based with a push and one is snapping the barrel. First clip has giddy up. This is what I was referring to in my previous post regarding the Hanson Principle.

I believe Julray's point is that what is demonstrated ... take for example the "laser demo" below ... is over exaggerated to a point that he doesn't see what is taking place via application of the Hanson Principle. He states quite clearly that his daughter will take such instruction literally, as do many female hitters, and duplicate what is seen ... and he doesn't see what is demonstrated in the swings of elite hitters when he studies them.

Laser Demo:
Laser_Demo.gif

Hanson Principle:
-- Mark Hanson

I personally believe that TM is after a particular action. I believe what Julray is looking for is what that action is and where is that particular action seen in the clips of the pros that he looks at.

p.s.
Edited to add another demo ....

HI_Demo.gif

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA