Turning the barrel

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
giphy.gif

Very little barrel being turned. In fact there is more pulling the barrel downwards then there is arcing. This is why I posted the clips, there seems to be a issue with what is called turning the barrel and actual barrel being turned from the start. If you would say the barrel isn't turned from the start, then that I could see. Or if you said the barrel being turned from the start was a feel thing, I could buy that as well.

Looks to me like he is pulling the barrel downwards as well. That's what confuses me about the clips posted where an instructor demonstrates turning the barrel. It seems really over exaggerated and then you look at MLB players and I don't see the same action.

Our DD's take everything literally, so if you practice turning the barrel like an instructor/expert illustrates, they literally try to incorporate this in their everyday swing... scares me a little bit. I don't see the best hitters doing it to the extent that instructors demonstrate... I wonder why?

For example if you look at the 1 hour 11 min mark of this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Od26VW8U-c&list=PLY_7NSmHvvPSgBXp_11EuiW6nPyKUZ0QH&index=13

That seems a little extreme to me...

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Looks to me like he is pulling the barrel downwards as well. That's what confuses me about the clips posted where an instructor demonstrates turning the barrel. It seems really over exaggerated and then you look at MLB players and I don't see the same action.

Our DD's take everything literally, so if you practice turning the barrel like an instructor/expert illustrates, they literally try to incorporate this in their everyday swing... scares me a little bit. I don't see the best hitters doing it to the extent that instructors demonstrate... I wonder why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Od26VW8U-c&list=PLY_7NSmHvvPSgBXp_11EuiW6nPyKUZ0QH&index=13

One thing I learned was that the elbow lowering, not the hands, the hands stay in the same place, serves as swinging down in the beginning of the swing. I was releasing the top hand too soon. Uncocking the wrist to soon. Swinging down corrected the issue.

May 12, 2016
One thing I learned was that the elbow lowering, not the hands, the hands stay in the same place, serves as swinging down in the beginning of the swing. I was releasing the top hand too soon. Uncocking the wrist to soon. Swinging down corrected the issue.

Yes I had my daughter try that and I was told she's not using her hands/forearms to turn the barrel, instead she was using her elbow.. so I am not sure anymore. I asked her to rotate the triangle, I am very wary now of using any elbow cues.

May 12, 2016
One thing I noticed about the Manny swing as well is it seems his top hand forearm is not remaining perpendicular with the bat, if it was the barrel would of already taken a much more rearward motion

Dec 4, 2013
C67TNX8.gif
GoezWCy.gif
sCLrTIP.gif

Barrel Perpendicular to forearm.....

There are a lot of chefs in your kitchen. You are sifting through lots of information. Do what makes sense to you. Good luck!

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
One thing I noticed about the Manny swing as well is it seems his top hand forearm is not remaining perpendicular with the bat, if it was the barrel would of already taken a much more rearward motion

This isn't directed necessarily at you julray, but an instructor/parent/coach has to be careful to not dwell on the minutia and coach out the athleticism in a swing. Remember most of these guys everybody is posting videos of
more than likely learned how to hit by trying to hit the ball as far and as hard as they could. As they progressed tweaks were made of course, and I am not saying you don't try to correct obvious flaws, just to be careful you don't turn a student into a robot.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio

You are seeing it right. It should scare you.
The best don't do what Teacherman, FFS and RDbass promote. (turn the barrel, (right now) bop the catcher on the head....nonsence
Stick to taking advice from guys who actually work with students and have a history of success.

SL

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
The best don't do what Teacherman, FFS and RDbass promote. (turn the barrel, (right now) bop the catcher on the head....nonsence
Stick to taking advice from guys who actually work with students and have a history of success.

SL

You wont give up will you.
What is considered a 'history of success' to you.
For me it's having a student playing at the next level. Example DI, DII & DIII in college.
What do you consider success/sucessful.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.

SL

It depends on a hitter . Manny would BOP the catcher on the head. In fact he would hit the catcher in the left side of his head, if the catcher was up closer.
GoezWCy.gif

SL you are clueless and over your head.
I promote 'turn the barrel forward towards the ball' right nowwww. You can't even get that correct.
I know you like to push the barrel forward later.
tumblr_otxdqlCf471usf292o1_400.gif

You're going to wish you left me alone.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes