Turning the barrel?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2009
I've been reading the hitting forum a lot lately. What is turning the barrel? Which action causes this and what does it accomplish? I'm a Newb for teaching hitting? I started working on getting my DD to load properly. We were using the walk through/throwing motion. Made a big difference on her coil and power. DD is an 8u twig.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Vlady3.gif

Pujols-Behind-path.gif

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
There are a lot of gold nuggets in a lot of threads on this website referring to turning the barrel. you will have to sift through the nonsense to find them but they are there.
start here:
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/12597-critique-help-series-swings.html

and here:
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/sof...al/11949-ffs-others-please-give-feedback.html
good luck....

While we are waiting for the gold nuggets, I'll post some nonsense. Maybe this will help get it started,maybe not?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
It also might help to understand that turning the barrel is something that is taught in contrast to pulling the knob or barrel toward the ball.

In the clips that Rdbass has posted, you'll see MLB hitters tilt the bat during the stride and get the knob pointing generally toward the catcher and the end of bat (barrel) leaning toward the pitcher like this: \ Those who pull the knob might have the bat angled like this / at the end of the stride.

If you turn the barrel, the bat should take the path that resembles the Nike swoosh. If you lead with the knob, the bat may take a straight path like a bow & arrow, or like you'd chop down a tree with a heavy ax.

In short, one might say that turning the barrel is the act of getting the bat from \ to –– where the \ turns roughly clockwise to get to –– , which is on plane with the pitch. It's also sometimes called flattening the bat.

Last edited: