Turn the barrel vs. throw the barrel

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Not stupid at all...its a valid question.
"Turning" happens as a result of proper hand and arm paths combined with the rotation. The "throw" is the contact portion of the swing by providing a strong barrel release. (as if you were throwing the bat into CF)
Do BOTH... combined with a smooth, slow linear move into a strong, resisting front leg for maximum power.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Heres both:
turning the barrel
frazierside.gif

throwing the barrel

Nov 5, 2012
ok. thanks guys. So i think i see the point in the swing where the turn becomes the throw (maybe). Other than talking about it with a young hitter, how do you practice turning the barrel?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
My key point with kids is a "go move", the first move of the sweet spot of the barrel, is to get into the deep path of the pitch. Turn the barrel. Snap the barrel. Torque the handle....whatever. 10 different kids will take 10 different ways to understand it. But non can be pulling the bat forward then turn it into the ball.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Direct/Load:
MannyDirectLoad.gif

Launch:
MannyLaunch.gif

Simple, and easy to teach.

I had a small 8th grader last night, put a laser against the varsity fence using this method last night.
It was a very endearing moment, she had tears in her eyes and she actually dropped the bat, skipped and ran away to tell her parents what she had done.

that's why I coach, and have endured, living here and at bbd.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
What frame does blur begin to happen? Looks to be about 26.. I see the bb being released (start of the sequence) which causes the barrel to start swinging behind him..

Vs Ground-up firing (one active leg).

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild