Turf fields

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 18, 2009
Sidney Ohio
They have 11 fields with turf on them at Berliner Park in Columbus (Ohio). Have had our share of games on them...

If they get wet, definitely go with some sort of turf to regular cleat. If dry, 'sneaker cleats' (tennis shoes) is fine!
When they do get wet, sliding turns interesting, as some girls who slide aggressively can overshoot bags.
Sliding is a little different art on this stuff (but don't be HESITANT!!!), but the athletic girls adjust quickly.
**Ive seen very hesitant girls about hurt themselves by not getting down properly and 'planting' their feet into turf prior to attempted slide....**

Also, you may want to get your pitchers out on it as early as possible to see what they are comfortable with...

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
DD 3's team all practiced sliding. She said she loves sliding on turf.

The best part: she had a hole in one of her cleats. Sometimes she would call time while pitching to empty the dirt out of her cleats. No problems on turf. (I did finally get her new cleats. Is it my fault DD 1 and DD 3 have the same shoe size? Are hand-me-down cleats really that bad?)

Jan 25, 2011
They have 11 fields with turf on them at Berliner Park in Columbus (Ohio). Have had our share of games on them...

If they get wet, definitely go with some sort of turf to regular cleat. If dry, 'sneaker cleats' (tennis shoes) is fine!
When they do get wet, sliding turns interesting, as some girls who slide aggressively can overshoot bags.
Sliding is a little different art on this stuff (but don't be HESITANT!!!), but the athletic girls adjust quickly.
**Ive seen very hesitant girls about hurt themselves by not getting down properly and 'planting' their feet into turf prior to attempted slide....**

Also, you may want to get your pitchers out on it as early as possible to see what they are comfortable with...
DD played there last year, (Buckeye recruitfest) she wore her steel and pitched. Big mistake, the field was so hot that it heated up the steel or just because it was hot and gave her blisters on the bottoms of both feet and the side of her big toe on her pivot foot. She has a set of turf shoes, but where 5 hours away at home, (coach didn't tell us about the turf.)

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
I heard a friend of mine say that the bounces I get are true bounces. We will be playing 8u so the pitching won't be a concern. I'm thinking tennis shoes will be probably better than molded cleats, if not we will just stay with cleats.

That 2nd bounce takes off like crazy.

As for shoes, my girls always preferred the molded cleats. However, we just played a HS team who's home field is turf. All their girls were wearing tennis shoes.

Also, as nano said, the turf will be HOT!

Aug 5, 2012
I think all of our kids wore molded cleats.
Start your slides early.
My biggest complaint was the ground-up rubber. By the end of the day, even my shoes were full of it.

Oct 4, 2018
So DD is playing on her first turf field ever tomorrow. She will be pitching and playing IF.

Her standard molded cleat Ringors? Or tennis shoes? I'm thinking stick with her cleats.

Jun 8, 2016
So DD is playing on her first turf field ever tomorrow. She will be pitching and playing IF.

Her standard molded cleat Ringors? Or tennis shoes? I'm thinking stick with her cleats.
Bring both...Marcela has worn both cleats and turf shoes (she has them because her org has an indoor facility with turf) and she said she prefers the turf shoes. Not sure about tennis shoes.

Jun 19, 2020
DD wears molded cleats while pitching on turf. She will also wear them in the outfield if there is moisture present. Her plant foot slipped a few times while pitching with her turf shoes. I do see several girls wearing tennis shoes, or turfs while pitching. It seems to come down to preference of the player. My advice is to be prepared for every situation when you leave the house.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nabbott