Turf shoes or molded cleats?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 24, 2022
Not all turfs are created equal. My DD pitches and likes turfs when playing on artificial surfaces. However she really only likes the Nike turfs that have the spikes on the bottom and give more grip. Some turfs have small shallow nubs that offer little grip.
View attachment 26683
My daughter loves her Nike turf shoes (tried NB and wasn't a fan). If the turf is very wet we'll use cleats, but my daughter had a bad experience catching her cleat in the carpet while trying to turn a double play while playing SS. No injury, but threw off her timing by the extra second and didn't turn 2. As a result, it's almost exclusively turf shoes.

Aug 23, 2016
DD's only turf experience has been turf fields with dirt cutouts, so she'll wear molded cleats. She has turf shoes for pitching lessons (the cage is all turf), but if there's dirt on the field she wants molded cleats every time.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
My daughter loves her Nike turf shoes (tried NB and wasn't a fan). If the turf is very wet we'll use cleats, but my daughter had a bad experience catching her cleat in the carpet while trying to turn a double play while playing SS. No injury, but threw off her timing by the extra second and didn't turn 2. As a result, it's almost exclusively turf shoes.

DD had a JV game this year at a school that uses turf IF but grass OF. And allows players to use metal cleats. I pushed and pushed her to take her molded but she refused. Safe to say I had fingers crossed she didn't catch a cleat and turn an ankle or knee.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414