Tryouts: Lessons Learned

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2013
I see tryouts posts all the team from 10U teams looking for a 55 MPH+ pitcher. And I clock pitchers during games all the time, have yet to clock a 10U pitcher breaking 50 regularly. I have clocked a good number in the high 40s. I figure let them chase the dream if it makes them happy.

There were about 8-10 girls this past year that could hit 50+ for a strike consistently during games played in tournaments around the ATL/SE area, but only one I saw consistently hit 55+ multiple times for strikes. Sure, there were also a few that could hit 50+ but maybe a pitch or two that was 4 feet over the catchers head.

You're not going to find a 55+ 10u pitcher posting an ad. Those 1-2 in the entire southeast are already spoken for and not going to go to a tryout. And the ones hitting 50 that can throw strikes are probably all locked down as well. Only way those pitchers change teams is a fallout with their team or if they are playing B and have grown and want to play A for the challenge.

Sep 18, 2011
55+ at 10U?? That's hilarious. I've only seen one pitcher who could do that - it was about 7 years ago in Ohio. Everyone referred to the girl as "The big unit." She was unbelievable!! Sorry for the threadjack, but do any of the Ohio folks know what happened to her? Was just thinking about her and was curious if she is committed somewhere.

May 15, 2014
Atlanta
Maybe mine can hit 55mph on a walk through with a Walmart radar gun riding on the back of a pickup truck but honestly I don't know because she rarely throws a fastball now anyway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi