Tryouts: Lessons Learned

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2011
In my neck of the woods, a parent lingering during tryouts and then lobbying an assistant coach DURING tryouts is almost unimaginable. I shutter to think what would have happened if i did that at 13U. Coach would have told me to take my kid off the field and never come back. If parents watch at all it's usually from the parking lot. Sorry to be a contrarian. No offense to the OP.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
In my neck of the woods, a parent lingering during tryouts and then lobbying an assistant coach DURING tryouts is almost unimaginable. I shutter to think what would have happened if i did that at 13U. Coach would have told me to take my kid off the field and never come back. If parents watch at all it's usually from the parking lot. Sorry to be a contrarian. No offense to the OP.

Wow! Where are you from? I've been to five tryouts in the past two weeks and parents hung around for each and every one. And the AC walked out to where I was sitting to say something to his son (who was sitting behind me on the bleachers) and spoke to me. It's not like I grabbed him off the field while he was in the middle of coaching.

And, sorry, but you don't think it's OK to mention to someone that no one has observed her playing her primary position? You know, the one she actually wants to try out to play? If your kid was a pitcher and the coach never asked to see her pitch, you seriously wouldn't say anything to anyone? You'd just let it go?

Sep 18, 2011
Wow! Where are you from? I've been to five tryouts in the past two weeks and parents hung around for each and every one. And the AC walked out to where I was sitting to say something to his son (who was sitting behind me on the bleachers) and spoke to me. It's not like I grabbed him off the field while he was in the middle of coaching.

And, sorry, but you don't think it's OK to mention to someone that no one has observed her playing her primary position? You know, the one she actually wants to try out to play? If your kid was a pitcher and the coach never asked to see her pitch, you seriously wouldn't say anything to anyone? You'd just let it go?

Personally i wouldn't say anything. That would be up to my dd to find a voice.

But my bad, if the assistant coach approached you that is obviously a horse of a different color.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Personally i wouldn't say anything. That would be up to my dd to find a voice.

But my bad, if the assistant coach approached you that is obviously a horse of a different color.

For older girls, I would agree. She's 12. And this guy was quite intimidating and was not exactly stopping to chat with anyone. All water under the bridge because he already had his new catcher pegged before she walked on the field anyway. I think he was her coach for feeder ball because he clearly already knew her and she was the only "tryout" girl he asked to catch.

Jun 12, 2015
I betcha they have maybe 1 or 2 positions open, maybe need a utility player with a good bat, something like that. He probably already knew exactly who his catchers would be.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I betcha they have maybe 1 or 2 positions open, maybe need a utility player with a good bat, something like that. He probably already knew exactly who his catchers would be.

This is what I was thinking. The OP states that 8 girls from the team were there, so I am guessing they were looking for a maximum of 4 other players. I am sure they knew exactly what positions they needed to fill. And some of the other girls at the tryout may had been invited by the coach due to previous discussions or inquiries. The entire event may have been a formality. I still wouldn't be too thrilled about the way this particular coach acted, and do agree that this player is probably better off with another team. If the tryout itself isn't comfortable for the player, I can just imagine what practice and games would be like. Move on and be thankful that you witnessed this before committing to the team.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
This is what I was thinking. The OP states that 8 girls from the team were there, so I am guessing they were looking for a maximum of 4 other players. I am sure they knew exactly what positions they needed to fill. And some of the other girls at the tryout may had been invited by the coach due to previous discussions or inquiries. The entire event may have been a formality. I still wouldn't be too thrilled about the way this particular coach acted, and do agree that this player is probably better off with another team. If the tryout itself isn't comfortable for the player, I can just imagine what practice and games would be like. Move on and be thankful that you witnessed this before committing to the team.

Absolutely. Even if she was chosen for this team, we would say no (despite the big-name organization caché). I can see the writing on the wall. If he didn't know her name by the end of the tryout, I can't imagine she'd ever reach "starting catcher" status.

Just found the original ad and it says this: "We currently have 8 girls committed for next season, and are looking to get to 12-13 players. Yes,all positions are really open as all of our skilled position players can play other positions, and we want to have 2 deep at each position."

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
For future reference...If a coach uses only pop time as a way to evaluate the ability of your DD as a catcher, that's a big red flag. Throwing ability is (maybe) the 3rd most important skill for a catcher.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
For future reference...If a coach uses only pop time as a way to evaluate the ability of your DD as a catcher, that's a big red flag. Throwing ability is (maybe) the 3rd most important skill for a catcher.

He did plenty of evaluating of the other girl, but none of my DD. I guess he knows something about catchers; he just wasn't interested in seeing anyone but "the chosen one" catch. He did pop time just to satisfy me and get us out of there as quickly as possible. Blech.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi