Tryouts: Lessons Learned

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
He did plenty of evaluating of the other girl, but none of my DD. I guess he knows something about catchers; he just wasn't interested in seeing anyone but "the chosen one" catch. He did pop time just to satisfy me and get us out of there as quickly as possible. Blech.

His reaction to your DD being a left catcher leads me to think otherwise ;)

I hope you find a happy home somewhere else...and kick the snot out of his team when you play them :)

Sep 4, 2015
Georgia
For future reference...If a coach uses only pop time as a way to evaluate the ability of your DD as a catcher, that's a big red flag. Throwing ability is (maybe) the 3rd most important skill for a catcher.

Very true. We went to a tryout earlier this week and the coach never got around to getting my DD's pop time. She just did warm-ups with the pitchers over in the grass for a few minutes. I thought that was really weird, but I didn't say anything. The tryout was very focused on fielding and hitting so I was just thankful she was doing well in those areas because clearly catching was not going to be her ticket onto this team.

My experience is that coaches will advertise "open positions" but they're really just having tryouts to make sure they haven't missed out on some superstar athlete. And now there's the workouts/practices before the organizational tryout which seems to be the time they're making offers. It's all completely insane. I'm hoping we're off the roller coaster soon!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Very true. We went to a tryout earlier this week and the coach never got around to getting my DD's pop time. She just did warm-ups with the pitchers over in the grass for a few minutes. I thought that was really weird, but I didn't say anything.

I can tell a lot more about a catcher's potential from watching them work with a pitcher - even just warming up - than I can by just seeing them throw to 2B. Receiving the ball well is priority #1 for a good catcher.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I can tell a lot more about a catcher's potential from watching them work with a pitcher - even just warming up - than I can by just seeing them throw to 2B. Receiving the ball well is priority #1 for a good catcher.

EricF makes a great point. When I was still involved in tryouts, I spent my time walking around while the players were warming up. Stretching, running, throwing, catching, etc. during warmups (including their attitude, personality, etc.) told me everything I needed to know before the tryout even began. In most cases the tryout would simply confirm what I saw during warmups.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Just saw an ad on the local Bulletin Board asking for 14U catchers with a pop time of 2.0 or lower. Why the big emphasis on this? From what I've seen, elite college athletes have a pop time of 1.7-1.8. Seems a bit much to expect from a 13 or 14 year old.

Jun 12, 2015
I see tryouts posts all the team from 10U teams looking for a 55 MPH+ pitcher. And I clock pitchers during games all the time, have yet to clock a 10U pitcher breaking 50 regularly. I have clocked a good number in the high 40s. I figure let them chase the dream if it makes them happy.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
There are always lessons learned at tryouts. Two years ago my DD went to 5 different program tryouts that once added up came to a total of 22 hours of workouts over a 10 day span. That experience was definitely an eye opener. For one program dd attended a two day tryout and they didn't even do anything with the catchers other than warming up pitchers on an adjacent field. DD was killing it during the infield and hitting portion. As we were walking away after the parent meeting one of the AC's made a point of chasing us down to tell DD that she did great and that he loved her attitude and work ethic. Never got a phone call. DD was heartbroken but it worked out for the best because that program is a revolving door of players.

Other tryouts attended we were able to figure out how the practices are run and we were able to get a glimpse into coaching styles. Last year's tryouts we figured out pretty quickly that DD's team had disintegrated. All of sudden we had to come up a with Plan B after all the main tryouts were done. Once we left the team was officially done. If it took one player leaving, then it was doomed from the start.

Something else to consider during tryout season at least where we are is to wait until all the cattle calls are done and be patient. It seems that teams will have supplemental open practices weeks after once they figure out that many of those kids at tryouts were just kicking tires. Parents love for their kids to wanted. I have seen many offers to families to join the team refused by saying that they are just going to stick with their current team.

Bottom line: You want to be where your kid is loved, can continue her development, gets playing time, gets seen(older ages), enjoys her teammates(maybe not all), minimal parent drama, good practice times, location, good tourney schedule, etc. The question is how to find that perfect fit, that changes year to year, season to season.

May 15, 2014
Atlanta
I see tryouts posts all the team from 10U teams looking for a 55 MPH+ pitcher. And I clock pitchers during games all the time, have yet to clock a 10U pitcher breaking 50 regularly. I have clocked a good number in the high 40s. I figure let them chase the dream if it makes them happy.

This made me laugh because you know every pitcher's parent claim their daughter throws 55mph at 9yo and has 10 different pitches. Same at 12U, only they ALL throw 65-70mph!

Dec 19, 2012
Something else to consider during tryout season at least where we are is to wait until all the cattle calls are done and be patient. It seems that teams will have supplemental open practices weeks after once they figure out that many of those kids at tryouts were just kicking tires. Parents love for their kids to wanted. I have seen many offers to families to join the team refused by saying that they are just going to stick with their current team.

Exactly right! There were a couple of teams that my dd did not go to until winter. When she was younger a couple of teams she was on dissolved. Instead of freaking out that she was not on a roster we took our time, worked by ourselves, and waited for fall ball to finish because there are always openings after fall ball. The first time it happened a coach got in touch with me on another board and took her based on another coaches recommendation. I knew of the team. They were good and played a tough schedule but that team dissolved after nationals because the coach walked away right after tryouts. After sitting out fall ball that year (After first year of 16u) she had an indoor tryout and it was one on one with the HC. He watched her receive, block, field, and hit, then offered her a spot. She played for that team the final three years of her TB career and she verballed during her first year with the team.

Dec 19, 2012
Just saw an ad on the local Bulletin Board asking for 14U catchers with a pop time of 2.0 or lower. Why the big emphasis on this? From what I've seen, elite college athletes have a pop time of 1.7-1.8. Seems a bit much to expect from a 13 or 14 year old.

Different coaches are looking for different things.

It is possible for a 14u catcher to have a pop time of 2.0 or lower, but it really doesn't mean anything if she can't duplicate it in a game, lets the ball get by her too often, makes throwing errors, can't manage a game, or can't manage the pitchers.

Don't worry. I'm sure your lefty catcher will eventually find a team. Mine always did.......

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi