Tryouts: Lessons Learned

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2012
Why is a lefty catcher viewed as an asset? I'm not trying to be snarky. I understand why a lefty 1B is an asset over the RH 1B in covering the hole and in general tag plays but I have a hard time understanding how a lefty catcher is a greater asset than a RH catcher when a majority of runners are on the rh side of the field and the majority of the batter are RH so throws are unimpeded when throwing to 1st of backdoor pickoff and throwing to 2nd on steals.

Bunting and speed is a huge part of the fastpitch softball game and a lefty catcher is in a much better position to make the play at first base when fielding a bunt. Snap throws to first base for pick-offs (which is the base most occupied in a game) are actually easier for a lefty catcher. Most hitters bat from the right hand side, and it is easier for a lefty catcher to control the outside corner. Lefty catchers have no problem throwing to 2B on steals....there's plenty of room to make the throw.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
It just strikes me as odd that we've had multiple coaches (including her coaches last year) who were really excited at the prospect of a lefty catcher (for reasons listed in Lenski's post above) and only this guy who actually pulled an "Ewwww" face when I confirmed she was a lefty catcher. She's had no untoward effects of being a lefty thus far that I can see and actually picked off runners at third several times last year (the one downfall I could theoretically see).

Jul 29, 2016
Why is a lefty catcher viewed as an asset? I'm not trying to be snarky. I understand why a lefty 1B is an asset over the RH 1B in covering the hole and in general tag plays but I have a hard time understanding how a lefty catcher is a greater asset than a RH catcher when a majority of runners are on the rh side of the field and the majority of the batter are RH so throws are unimpeded when throwing to 1st of backdoor pickoff and throwing to 2nd on steals.

You've already gotten some solid answers, but you need to think about it in terms of which side of the field is easier for the catcher to throw to, especially on a cleanly-fielded catch. A right-handed catcher is going to have to pivot away and clear her body out of the way to throw to first base. In fact, the closer the ball is to the third-base dugout, the longer it will take. The lefty catcher is the opposite. When she transitions the ball from her glove to her throwing hand - she's already in position to fire to first. There's no need to pivot. The left-hand advantage is even more pronounced when fielding bunts where the right handed catcher is usually going to have to pivot her body 180 degrees to windup get the ball to first base.

Of course the RH catcher has the same (mirror-image) advantage in throwing to third, but you're always going to have more plays on the first-base side.

Jun 8, 2016
You've already gotten some solid answers, but you need to think about it in terms of which side of the field is easier for the catcher to throw to, especially on a cleanly-fielded catch. A right-handed catcher is going to have to pivot away and clear her body out of the way to throw to first base. In fact, the closer the ball is to the third-base dugout, the longer it will take. The lefty catcher is the opposite. When she transitions the ball from her glove to her throwing hand - she's already in position to fire to first. There's no need to pivot. The left-hand advantage is even more pronounced when fielding bunts where the right handed catcher is usually going to have to pivot her body 180 degrees to windup get the ball to first base.

Of course the RH catcher has the same (mirror-image) advantage in throwing to third, but you're always going to have more plays on the first-base side.

So on average catchers in fastpitch throw to first more than third (taking into account steals..)??

Sep 4, 2015
Georgia
We had a lefty catcher last season and she was great! Tryout season is exhausting, but I think it offers great lessons about what to look for in a team and coach. And it's great practice! With each tryout my DD looks better and better.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
We had a lefty catcher all season and I saw no downside at all. Pickoffs to first are easier, as mentioned above, and the pick to third can also be easier since the left arm is coming out behind the batter and the catcher doesn't have to move as much.

Lefties are becoming more and more common behind the plate as coaches give up the "lefties can't catch" mentality at the younger ages. We had three or four of them in our org this year, including one on our Gold team.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I literally just got this email from a coach she saw the night before the bad tryout:

"We liked,
She made adjustments
Batting mechanics
Positive attitude
Blocking behind the plate
and I just like Lefties!"

So na-na-boo-boo to the other guy!

Aug 16, 2015
As long as he is being himself, and not putting on an act, then it's a good thing. I agree with your thoughts on it being a little harsh/blunt/whatever you want to call it, but like others said, you got to see what it will be like. That's one of the most important things at these tryouts... to get a feel for what it will be like if you do bring your daughter there.

As for a lefty catcher, University of Michigan has one. Other colleges do. I'm not the biggest fan, but if those big D1 programs can do it, then I have to defer to those who know more than me on the subject.

Sep 29, 2014
At the older ages....yes. Attempts to steal 3B are rare compared to catcher pickoff throws to 1B.

Not to mention more girls start slapping lots of line ups have three or four slappers so more of the line up is in the other batters box and it becomes a wash.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi