Tryout Season

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 5, 2014
Yeah, we get to play the big summer events (if we want to and qualify, etc. etc.) so get exposure there.

And we will play some big Fall tourneys in October/November. Not sure exactly what we miss in August/September.
For now you won't miss much as D1 coaches are only allowed to attend events the 6 weekends before Thanksgiving.

The interesting thing I always thought is fall softball makes more sense in the northeast due to the weather.

May 27, 2013
The interesting thing I always thought is fall softball makes more sense in the northeast due to the weather.

Yes! Playing in September and October is way better than March and April when the ground can still be frozen and have snow. Our autumn weather in PA has been very nice lately, with decent temps up until Thanksgiving.

Oct 4, 2018
Yes! Playing in September and October is way better than March and April when the ground can still be frozen and have snow. Our autumn weather in PA has been very nice lately, with decent temps up until Thanksgiving.

I'm curious (but have never even googled it) to learn why Georgia and a few other states switched softball to the fall. I think it takes a 75% vote from Congress, which we certainly aren't getting these days.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I'm curious (but have never even googled it) to learn why Georgia and a few other states switched softball to the fall. I think it takes a 75% vote from Congress, which we certainly aren't getting these days.
Baseball is still in the spring in Georgia, right?

Jan 20, 2023
I always hear we don’t have enough umpires for softball and baseball so one in fall and one in spring works better.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
A new 15u Top Gun team was announced here locally which spun up everyone's tryouts. It was mid-June and discussions around players leaving DD's team spun up. It was crazy. We talked about going to the tryout (as she knew a couple girls making the jump). But she just joined her current team in Fall of 2021 and didn't want to switch again. It's a great group of talented players, DD plays every inning of every game, no drama, mostly level-headed families, and coaches are great. Locally, the team is well respected. Other than "the grass is always seems greener".....there was zero reason to leave.

DD has never wanted to join a national program and is on the fence about playing in college. I also just don't believe that the "recruiting help" promises made by the new Top Gun and local Sluggers programs will be anything drastically above and beyond what she can do on her own with her talent level.

This year was not without team drama elsewhere. One local team that [on paper] should have been very competitive dealt with team/parent issues all year and disbanded altogether. Another top 16u program lost 3-4 players due to playing time issues. The new Top Gun team helped juice some of that I think.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

A few years ago we almost switched in Illinois. It was on the table, but I voted against it because they were not going to also move volleyball to the spring.

The biggest reason to make the switch was weather. We could've had a three-month season starting in early August and ending in early November with very few games (instead of 1/2 to 2/3 of the season) played in miserable weather. In the end, that didn't outweigh some of the negatives.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles