Tryout Season

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2021
We're staying. Going on year 3 with this team and still happy. We lost one and added 2. Happy about the additions, though they will result in a tad less playing time for my DD.

I'm watching a lot of friends go through the tryout process. Here in Georgia it's just about done, as Highschool ball starts in earnest this week and next.
Didn’t know HS in GA played softball in the fall.

Feb 15, 2017
I just think it’s got to be hard for the personalities of that many high level players and parents to stay happy. All ceo no worker bee I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Also this team took two very good teams and combined a few years ago right before PFG. I'm sure that didn't make a lot of people happy then.

There's a Florida Unity team that broke up but is now reforming with Ross in the name. Unity Medows/Ross

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018
Didn’t know HS in GA played softball in the fall.

Yeah.

In general it stinks.

Both my DDs would have played Volleyball and Softball. But both are fall sports so they have to choose.

Then all surrounding states play Spring ball. So tournaments in Spring are mostly GA only (luckily there are many good teams) and in the Fall they all play in Florida/Tennessee/Kentucky. If you live in one state but your travel team is in GA (or vice versa) it creates some weirdness.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Yeah.

In general it stinks.

Both my DDs would have played Volleyball and Softball. But both are fall sports so they have to choose.

Then all surrounding states play Spring ball. So tournaments in Spring are mostly GA only (luckily there are many good teams) and in the Fall they all play in Florida/Tennessee/Kentucky. If you live in one state but your travel team is in GA (or vice versa) it creates some weirdness.
Not to mention, you miss out on the fall recruiting aspect...unless the college coach comes to the local HS game.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Now that 16U/18UPGF and Alliance has finished, Tryout season will begin in a couple of weeks.

Who is going to leave their teams and why?
Who is staying and why?

Who has no idea what they want to do?
Tryout season is basically over here. Just a couple teams who do a bunch of tryouts or trying to fill out rosters.

We did have one team here who charged (only $15, but still) for tryouts, ran two, then emailed everyone who tried out that they decided they couldn't put together a competitive team so they were just not going to have a team this year.

I suspect they lost a pitcher and instead of trying to recruit one just gave up.

Oct 4, 2018
Not to mention, you miss out on the fall recruiting aspect...unless the college coach comes to the local HS game.

Yeah, we get to play the big summer events (if we want to and qualify, etc. etc.) so get exposure there.

And we will play some big Fall tourneys in October/November. Not sure exactly what we miss in August/September.

Oct 4, 2018
Tryout season is basically over here. Just a couple teams who do a bunch of tryouts or trying to fill out rosters.

We did have one team here who charged (only $15, but still) for tryouts, ran two, then emailed everyone who tried out that they decided they couldn't put together a competitive team so they were just not going to have a team this year.

I suspect they lost a pitcher and instead of trying to recruit one just gave up.

... and made some $$$

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Yeah, we get to play the big summer events (if we want to and qualify, etc. etc.) so get exposure there.

And we will play some big Fall tourneys in October/November. Not sure exactly what we miss in August/September.
You miss nothing in those months. Besides, the NCAA is trying to shut down fall recruiting, but it doesn't look like that will happen this year. All the big recruiting events happen in October and November anyway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles