Tryout notice translator

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2014
Atlanta
We don't go to org tryouts for the higher level teams because 99.9% of the time, these teams are already filled before they do this. Yes it's a great workout and its free but it's also a waste of my daughter's time and mine as well. If we are interested in a team, I will contact the HC and request a private before the org tryouts or I will request to come practice with the team. We went to 1 org tryout last yr and I said we would never do that again. It was painfully obvious the team was already in place before the tryout (this was a brand new team for the org and it was their 1st posted tryout). Biggest waste of time for everyone and it made my day to tell them 2 days after the tryout no thank you to their offer. They admitted they had the team in place already and said they didn't know anything about my daughter before she came out (she is a pitcher). Oh well, too bad for them!

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
We don't go to org tryouts for the higher level teams because 99.9% of the time, these teams are already filled before they do this. Yes it's a great workout and its free but it's also a waste of my daughter's time and mine as well. If we are interested in a team, I will contact the HC and request a private before the org tryouts or I will request to come practice with the team. We went to 1 org tryout last yr and I said we would never do that again. It was painfully obvious the team was already in place before the tryout (this was a brand new team for the org and it was their 1st posted tryout). Biggest waste of time for everyone and it made my day to tell them 2 days after the tryout no thank you to their offer. They admitted they had the team in place already and said they didn't know anything about my daughter before she came out (she is a pitcher). Oh well, too bad for them!

I think you're right. Is there some rule that says orgs have to do these or is it just like where companies advertise for external applicants even though they already have an internal applicant in mind for a job? But then you feel like they'll think you're not really interested if you don't show up for all the tryouts/events they put on. I much prefer the private tryouts too.

Jun 19, 2013
Why don't you start a new thread with your serious questions and you might be more answers and let this be for fun?

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
There is a "big" name org around here that must have learned from the Cali Teams.... $20.00 registration fee to try out for our team.

Jul 17, 2016
Saw this one that lasted on a softball facebook group less than a day before it was pulled:

Due to unforeseen and unfortunate circumstances, TEAM 0X is needing a starting pitcher, catcher, SS, and 3B...

Makes the mind race as to what happened. Team split? Assistant coach revolt? Parent revolt?

I didn't see the typical "no drama" tag in the post. Odd.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
New winner: This is full text of the tryout minus the coaches name and phone number. The complete lack of any details is outstanding... I have NO idea what age group this team is even in.

Especially bad since this is posted on a rapidly moving local board where all the tryouts for every team is posted which is currently going through about 30-40 posts per day so you HAVE to stand out just to be read by someone. Almost everyone gets at least the subject right (Team name, age group, tryout date)...but this one...

Subject: Travel Team Players Needed

Postby XXXXXX » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:00 pm
The XXXXXXX are looking to add to our roster for the balance of this year and next season. We are currently looking experienced travel players!! We are in need of an additional pitcher, outfielder and infielder.

If interested in finding a new travel home, please give Coach X @ X.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Most give the obligatory "no Daddy Ball, no drama" caveats, but then leave out the important stuff. You know, like where and when they're going to practice. If you're going to practice two or three weeknights each week and you're over an hour away, I'm not going to bother. Include that info and cut down on the number of emails/texts/calls you have to deal with.

Jun 12, 2015
Most give the obligatory "no Daddy Ball, no drama" caveats, but then leave out the important stuff. You know, like where and when they're going to practice. If you're going to practice two or three weeknights each week and you're over an hour away, I'm not going to bother. Include that info and cut down on the number of emails/texts/calls you have to deal with.
Yes! It's so irritating. I should hire out tryout announcement services for coaches. A lot of them need it.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
When DD attended tryouts 2 years ago, she attended a tryout at one location that was conveniently located and was asked to come workout with the team over the weekend. She was excited as was I, then the coach told us where they have practices. Our faces dropped. We attended one practice on the other side of town and decided it was best to move on. Yes, it would have been nice to know where practices are held, which it seems no one ever posts that information in their tryout notices. There may be one place for tryouts for all of the teams and then find out that each team has their own practice location scattered all over.

Jul 17, 2016

I think more than a GM, teams need a communications coordinator.

We had a coach constantly texting out who he'd offered slots to to all the parents who'd had kids try out. When pretty much none of them accepted, how would that look to the ones who were left who might get offers next? Hey, we're second or third choice! Yey!

On the other hand, you'll have coaches who decide to post philosophical ramblings on FB groups about what other coaches are doing that is dumb, what parents do that's dumb, etc. That's surely a way to get me to sign my kid up with you. I sometimes wonder if alcohol is involved in some of these types of posts, because there is no way it's winning you any points with people who might think to play for you in the future, and logically I can't see how you'd think so without being a bit into your beer.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA