True or False?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 1, 2010
I believe proper instruction and information is the foundation for a solid athletic career (whether that ends in MS, HS, college or the pros). Of course, there is always that "natural" that proves the exception, but I believe that even they can benefit.

We were fortunate to get with a group of coaches from several teams during our Rec softball time that would work outside the season to teach solid basics and, just as importantly, IMO, the why. Over the years we have adjusted, I like to think refined, some of those basics but DD is not afraid to ask why.

HOWEVER, head knowledge alone does not translate into success. I too believe that practice makes permanent, so lots and lots of focused practice with close attention to the basics is the key.

JMHO

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
A few years back, there was a study which set out to answer this very question. The study parameters looked at oxygen efficiency over time, as a particular set of motions was mastered.

Volunteer athletes were given a set of motions to master. Their oxygen use was monitored during the practice and mastery process. The study authors found that when the athletes were first learning a motion, their oxygen efficiency was poor; the athletes were consuming a lot of oxygen. As the athletes mastered the motion, their oxygen efficiency went way up and they were consuming far less oxygen. The kicker was that once the motion was completely mastered, oxygen efficiency continued to IMPROVE each time the athlete practiced.

This is the closest I've seen a lab-controlled study come to answering the question, does practice make perfect?

Jan 17, 2013
Practice does not necessarily make perfect. Practicing and repeating incorrect or poor mechanics over and over again just leads to problems. First there must be the proper instruction and information, followed by lots and lots of practice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild