True or False (HS Coaches)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
And actually only the last 3 years has the HS coach moved into the "automatic" return. DD's freshman year the coach kept 9 incoming freshmen, largest ever. That group has taken the HS to state twice as 10th graders and again as 11th, the program before has never made it past regions.

With that, it's very obvious the coach knew what he had before tryouts. It's still a good idea to use them to compare the incoming players and it squashes ANY "favorites" complaints from any parent.

On the flip side of the coin what happens when this talented group graduates and the talent pool isn't as strong. Will the next group of lesser talented kids also be expecting the "automatic" treatment too? It could turn real ugly if the coach flip flops and makes everyone try out again. When you're dealing with crazy parents you need to keep your policies consistent. Especially in HS.

Nov 29, 2009
I can't even imagine a school with 4000 kids running around, that sounds like a small college

Actually it was like 4850 kids. And that was after a split.

The coach would have a 3 day tryout. The first day she cut 50 - 60 kids immediately. The second day she figured out the teams and made more cuts. The last day was like a practice moving kids between Varsity and JV making final decisions.

She pretty much knew what the Varsity team was going to be, but gave everyone a chance at it. She got squawked at by a few disgruntled parents when she brought some freshman to Varsity. But the kids were good athletes.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
With that, it's very obvious the coach knew what he had before tryouts. It's still a good idea to use them to compare the incoming players and it squashes ANY "favorites" complaints from any parent.

On the flip side of the coin what happens when this talented group graduates and the talent pool isn't as strong. Will the next group of lesser talented kids also be expecting the "automatic" treatment too? It could turn real ugly if the coach flip flops and makes everyone try out again. When you're dealing with crazy parents you need to keep your policies consistent. Especially in HS.

Yes sir valid points. And there are "circumstances" again that probably only apply every now and then but I like to share incase others run across it.

The HS coach ( 25 years ) was going to retire until we made state that 10th grade year. We all know ANYTHING can happen in the playoffs, but this is one of those "once" in a programs life type deals. 9 starters ( and a DP ), 6 seniors going to play college, 2 juniors committed, 1 who has not "chosen" yet. Those odds are pretty rare for any HS team.

He stayed for that "chance" that comes to few HS coaches. ( and i think most of us would ) He is retiring after this run for sure, already announced it. The next coach will have to decide on how to conduct tryouts, and probably go to a more traditional type. ( as I would too )

In most cases, the coaches should have a pretty good idea who the players are that are coming in. HS coaches should at least make the effort to see some of the games and practices that their feeder programs are having. Unless of course it is one of those "mega schools." Our HS runs around 725, so I cannot imagine 3ooo+ students in a school.
Even though I am just a MS coach, I am a volunteer Plate Umpire for our Little League. This lets me see many of the players in a much different light than sitting behind the backstop.

Feb 10, 2013
I would have to applaud starsnuffer post from yesterday spot on!! You step out of the car and on to the field, your tryout has begun..If the player is even above average, Trust the good coaches in the state will Know!!

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I haven't seen anyone mention it, so I will as I've seen this for years.

In some areas of the country, softball season is relatively short to others. In some, HS ball has minimal competitive value compared to TB or it just isn't a priority as some play simply for the fun of it.

What I'm getting to is that during "off seasons", many teenagers change, physically and mentally. I've seen kids leave school in June at 5'2" and show up in September nearly 6' tall and this was at 14. OTOH, I've seen kids shoot to 5'6" at 13 and never grow another inch. In softball, I would assume one of the biggest challenges seems may be the boys. Some girls fall in "love" with romance and softball or whatever sport seems to become secondary. And, yes, I know any good parent wouldn't dare allow Lil' Susie screw up an athletic scholarship over puppy love :) , but we are talking HS ball here, correct?

IOW, one size doesn't fit all. IMO, having tryouts is a great idea if for no other reason than to demonstrate to young people (and their parents) that something you want is worth earning and not an entitlement. Then again, I'm still naïve enough to believe that "school" should be about the education of our youth, not a pissing contest to determine who can claim to be better than the next person.

May 13, 2012
Our town/county has two HS's. Both schools coachs show up sometimes when there is tb tourny at local complex. They know who will be coming to their HS. My tb team is all 7th and 8th graders this yr so I assume they will be paying close attention to my players this yr and yes probably will make up their mind before tryouts since they get to seem them and their parents in game sitituations.

I will pretend to be "Captain Obvious" here. Coaches should NOT have their minds make up on the entire roster, because there may be a surprise or two when you actually conduct a tryout.
We have all seen girls blossom, some plateau, and some just quit caring.
If you plan on a squad of say 18 girls, that first 10 or 12 is probably very easy. But sometimes ranking those 15-22 spots is where it gets difficult.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
Then again, I'm still naïve enough to believe that "school" should be about the education of our youth, not a pissing contest to determine who can claim to be better than the next person

Competition is part of being human. It's what helped us survives as a species. Part of education to learning how to compete so when a child gets into the adult world they have enough skills to survive and be a productive member of our society. It's the child who learns failure is not the end, but rather a new starting point to try and succeed again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild