Trouble with the whip

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
6:30! Do you have 7:30-8?

I see her closing a bit too much and probably not enough flexion of the elbow to get max whip/brush. Improve the posture, allow the lower arm to loosen up and get pulled into release, and stop trying to muscle it. Let speed/whip happen--don't make it happen.

Last edited:

bmd

Jan 9, 2015
lol back in time a bit....FullSizeRender 24.jpg

6:30! Do you have 7:30-8?

I see her closing a bit too much and probably not enough flexion of the elbow to get max whip/brush. Improve the posture, allow the lower arm to loosen up and get pulled into release, and stop trying to muscle it. Let speed/whip happen--don't make it happen.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Going off of Ken's observations and the pictures , if you look at the slow motion video of Sarah and stop the video at the 7:00 hand position and compare it to your daughters 7:00 hand position, you can see a difference in posture in relationship to the shoulders. My guess is your daughter is twisting her shoulders into release in order to create speed thus pushing the ball. There is no bracing effect of the shoulders so the energy could transfer into the arm and whip.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
10mmmu0.gif

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Thanks Coach James's, I don't want to be presumptive but a couple suggestions to help with her over rotations of the upper body. I like the whip and snap drills that Java had demonstrated on you tube, sorry I don't know how to upload them. I also like the drill Rick P. Demonstrates making an arm circle and rotating on the back toe. I've myself used 2 or 3. Arm circles at a time. I like the circle-Pitch-circle sequence. It helps the athlete to feel the shoulder stop rotating. I'm looking forward to hearing some other suggestions on this.

Last edited:

bmd

Jan 9, 2015
dd uses many drills from this site. We will continue to work hard. Thank you for all of your helpful suggestions. Dd is 12. She says her goal is to be a beast by spring. Lol. After her break once the rust knocks off I'll post some clips. I might add that we broke down and rebuilt this spring/summer. I feel as though she has came along way but yet have so far to go.

To mad4ball I hope that all of this has been helpful for you! Good luck!!

Keep the suggestions coming!!!

Jun 12, 2015
It's so hard to rebuild! Mine is really unhappy because she's lost some accuracy when she pitches correctly. Last night we put a soccer ball on the tee in the basement and had her try to knock it off, just for fun. She loves games like that. Most of the times she knocked it off was with the lean/push rather than the whip and good posture. It was towards the end and I said, "This pitch, just throw it as hard as you can, and really think about your form. Forget the ball, who cares. You know where it is. just pitch." The next throw she looked great and BAM! knocked the ball right off the tee. The timing was fabulous. I was like "SEE!? Good form and you got it!" It would have been far less awesome if she'd missed. lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole