Trouble with the whip

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
"Whip" may not be the best term or approach. Do you use "whip" when you throw the ball 80 or 90 mph overhand? Maybe a "proper sequence" would have a better effect.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Ihowser mentioned hand and ball position. In addition to that I would see if she is locking out her elbow too early. If we tell our pitcher to make a big or fast arm circle, they will have a tendency to throw their hand over the top of the circle and cause the elbow to lock out early. Have her focus on making her arm circle with her elbow and leaving her lower arm loose going into the whip. The arm circle is really an elliptical circle but I don't know if that's a little advanced for you pitcher at this time. I hope this helps

bmd

Jan 9, 2015
My dd has always had trouble catching the whip. Seems like when she tries to keep everything loose she looks like she is just handing it off to the catcher with no power. When she tries to force the whip she often straightens her arm and her wrist snap looks forced and she often bangs her elbow against her hip. We are going to try to try the bat drill. Thanks! This site is always helpful! Good luck!

Oct 27, 2015
My dd has always had trouble catching the whip. Seems like when she tries to keep everything loose she looks like she is just handing it off to the catcher with no power. When she tries to force the whip she often straightens her arm and her wrist snap looks forced and she often bangs her elbow against her hip. We are going to try to try the bat drill. Thanks! This site is always helpful! Good luck!

Yes, I'm grateful for all the great info and post as well. Good luck with your DD, we are gonna go back to the bat drill.

May 12, 2008
That's an interesting read. If I'm understanding it right if a kid is struggling with a subject explicit teaching should take a bigger role.

Sounds right to me. If the pitcher is close to being in the right positions through the pitching motion and still missing velocity I suggest it's time to do Jaeger's long toss. When the ball goes further she will connect that feel with the result. Rinse and repeat.

Sep 19, 2013
Texas

bmd, be careful what you tell you dd about the whip. R u telling her ball up at 9 oclock?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi