Trophy Kids documentary

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
Has anyone watched this? I'm watching it right now on Netflix. I always worry about being one of Those Parents. But watching this is making me feel pretty sane.

Feb 4, 2015
Olathe, KS
You want a more positive one there is a documentary that was done last year call "Keeper of the Sandlot" that was filmed here in KC. A bunch or Royals players and other were interviewed for it. Recommend that you view it as a team builder with your players, parents and coaches.

Jul 22, 2013
I just watched it a few days ago. Definitely cringe worthy in many parts...when the golf dad called his 9 yr old daughter an f'n b*tch under his breath because she missed a putt, I got sick to my stomach. I didn't have an issue with the money spent on training or the rigorous schedules etc (at least for the HS age kids), but the obnoxious behavior and putting down other kids openly in the stands is so far out of bounds. Just not my style. It was hard to say which dad I disliked more...

Jun 12, 2015
Yeah, we spend a ton of money and time on sports. It was how the parents treated and spoke to the kids that was so bad.

I also don't agree with giving kids so little choice in how they spend their time. I realize not everyone agrees with that though.

Jun 17, 2013
Middle Georgia
I watched it. It was difficult to decide, but i disliked the football father the most. The crap in the car after a game put him over the top with me. He told the kid to step aside so he could put another kid in the private school. Then it got worse. I had seen the golf player and father in The Short Game. Ridiculous. It's probable none of those kids would pan out, and could mostly be the parent's fault. The tennis players only made JV the first year of high school. It's too late at that point for a player to improve enough to reach the very top. The basketball players didn't even sniff D1. The golf player's attitude and Father will hold her back. The football player's father seemed to kill his drive. It didn't look like his goals lined up with the dad's. I felt sick after watching it.

Jun 12, 2015
She seemed a little unhinged to me. My husband came in when she was talking and said, "Let me guess. Filmed in California?" He grew up in northern California, apparently still speaks the language.

Nov 12, 2013
maritimes
i just watched part of it and had to stop. my main problem was it seemed scripted. all acting. did not believe any of it.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Painful to watch.
Most of the time I was thinking how glad I was not to be one of those parents.
Then I realized there were a few times I yelled at DD 3 for not practicing as much as I wanted her to.
Took me a while to realize it's her life, it's her choice. Yes, she has the talent to go really far, but she has to WANT to do the work it takes.
Even if she says she wants to play D-1, and even if she maybe has the talent, it has to come from her. Otherwise I will be just another jerk parent who pushes the kid until she hates the sport.
Better have her be a good player and have fun than a great player who is miserable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah