Trick Play to end Florida 7a State Championship

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
Our 10U travel team did this about a month ago in a tournament. Time had expired, it was international tie-breaker rules and we were winning. I believe this was the first or second out of their last ups. Their coach was SOOOOO pissed. It got ugly, but fortunately just verbal heat was exchanged.

Also, with two outs and our last at-bats in regulation, we hit a game tying HR (2 or 3-run shot, I forget). So just a brutal loss for the other team.

Oct 10, 2018
Cute but JMO I'm not a fan of "tricks". If you need tricks to win..... well you need tricks to win.

Jul 5, 2016
The game wasn't that close, so that should lessen the sting.

Still, the team and coaches have to be 100% aware of what is going on 100% of the time. If they aren't the can fall prey to trick plays.

From time to time in MLB, you see a player take advantage of somebody not paying full attention.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Cute but JMO I'm not a fan of "tricks". If you need tricks to win..... well you need tricks to win.
What about things like
1. Defensive player does a fake pump throw to one base which draws a runner off another base they then pick off.
Or in reverse the Runner comes off the bag to try and draw a throw to allow the batter to proceed to First without a throw and then the runner goes back to their own base.
2. Common with Lefty batters to be a triple threat in the box there is some strategy in that. Do you consider that a trick for somebody to act like they're going to hit it and then bunt it? I think that strategy.
3. What about the pitcher throwing changeups there is strategy in that.
Or is that a trick in your opinion? Could be considered tricky. Consider it strategy.
4. What about a batter fake Bunting and then pulling their Bat Away. To hold the defense and possibly give a runner a better chance at stealing a base.
5. What about a first-and-third situation where the runner on first goes to second base and does so in such a manner to cause mental disruption on where the play should be made. should they throw through to the bag or should they hold the runner at third. Plenty of times where Runners are adding to the mental decisions on the field.

Softball is a game of strategy.
Paying attention to where the ball is is part of it.
Without strategy it would be less of a game. Perhaps the difference between winning and losing.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
From time to time in MLB, you see a player take advantage of somebody not paying full attention.

Almost every time a player steals home in the MLB (or baseball in general) it is a result of someone (usually the P) not paying attention. Oh yeah, it is also one of the most exciting plays in sports.

Oct 11, 2018
Atlanta

It’s not obvious where the line is… doubt most would think a change up or a nasty breaking ball are “tricks” that don’t have a place in the game… how about a delayed steal or fake bunt? What about catcher faking a throwdown in a first and third situation to get the runner at third off balance to help her pick that runner off? After a close play at a bag is it a “trick” for the fielder to mimic a throw and then tag the careless base runner as they stand up if they come off the bag? Deception is part of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
A little word fun...

Strategy is used to get the upper hand.

Trickery is used to fool and swindle.

~Every pitch called for the pitcher to throw should have strategy based design.
If a change-up fools a batter
who swindled who?

Mar 4, 2015
New England
Yes, deception is part of the game. But that's not the issue. Scoring is part of the game, but when scoring embarrasses another team unnecessarily, then scoring becomes unsportsmanlike, as in leading 30-0 and still trying to score as many runs as possible.

In this case, the team calling the trick play was up 8-2 with 2 outs in the final inning. Did the team unnecessarily embarrass an opposing player or team?

I'm not saying it did or didn't.

Just saying that's the question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi