Travel versus Club is there a difference?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 24, 2022
I'm guessing this is a regional thing, but here in NJ there is a distinction between travel ball and club ball. When we refer to a "travel" team it's a town travel team that is only able to pull players from that town or a few neighboring towns if there is a regional high school. Typically those teams play league schedules and might play a couple of unaffiliated tournaments - the talent level varies greatly from year to year for these teams because they can only pull from a relatively small pool of players. They would typically have much more reasonable fees to join the team. There are exceptions when we have very strong town travel teams, but, by in large they would mostly be considered low B or high C level teams. "Club" teams can pull from anywhere, and run the gambit with regards to talent and are constantly recruiting. Most will strictly play a tournament schedule, although some still play in leagues. It's pretty typical here for a girl to start playing rec, play town travel (if there is a team in her area), and then move to a club team by 12U.

Jun 20, 2015
here in Ohio, club and travel terms are basically used interchangeably. NOW that does not mean that every club or travel team is all superstars playing all over USA. Some club teams are C level and play only few local tourney, Some are Elite A level and play all over USA.

certain larger orgs get well deserved reputations for fielding teams that are right in line with their declared (and observed skill levels). And some orgs are know for being C level and playing local.

And of course there are the teams that appear out of nowhere, like the Hittin' Kittens Tungsten Carbide Elite Titanium Showcase Marvels, that are not nearly as good as their self proclaimed name implies and struggle mightily to retain players and win games.

do some research and ask questions.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
In So Cal, its travel ball. But sometimes between rec and TB there are Tee-shirt Teams. Usually, an all-star team playing fall ball and entering a few tourneys (Halloween, Turkey, toys for tots). Then they decide to transition to TB or return to rec ball. This is when the teams usually break up.
But once you hit TB, there is no A, B, C ratings. It is the coach's job to find appropriate competition.

Jun 8, 2016
But once you hit TB, there is no A, B, C ratings. It is the coach's job to find appropriate competition.
The A,B,C ratings are only necessary if you play USSSA (I think..don't think any of the other alphabets require a designation) and there isn't much USSSA in CA from what I can tell.

Feb 24, 2021
In NEPA we have what you would call Rec teams that play out of each City, Town, or Borough that you typically have to live within the city limits to play there and you play a schedule against other teams from neighboring towns that have teams. Then we have the Travel teams, which there are a few within a 30 mile radius, that have tryouts or they recruit players from wherever they choose so a lot of time you have girls that play against each other during Rec season and are playing/practicing together on Travel teams. Then comes the School ball once old enough that can shuffle them all around once again..... The good thing is there are a lot of options around this area for young ladies to play, the downside is with all of the available travel teams it's tough to get an "elite" team together.

Dec 5, 2017
The A,B,C ratings are only necessary if you play USSSA (I think..don't think any of the other alphabets require a designation) and there isn't much USSSA in CA from what I can tell.
Does your dd's team play much usssa ball? We are coming to OK to play in a B tourney in June and attend a couple of wcws games. Curious what the competition will be like. My dd and I are more excited about watching the college games than actually playing 😐

Aug 17, 2019
USA (formerly ASA) has A,B, and C ratings. B & C are allstar teams from the rec leagues. A teams can get players from anywhere. In Northern CA, USA A tournaments have fallen on tough times.

USSSA does exist in CA but the A,B,C ratings are self rated but then will change as you play tournaments. They are mainly tournaments for local teams that don't travel very far.

Jun 8, 2016
Does your dd's team play much usssa ball? We are coming to OK to play in a B tourney in June and attend a couple of wcws games. Curious what the competition will be like. My dd and I are more excited about watching the college games than actually playing 😐
They have. In OK you typically play mostly USSSA in 10's and 12's and then transition away as you get to 14's. As 1st year 14's, they are playing maybe 4 or 5 this spring that are USSSA.

What tournament are you playing in? Road to the Show?