Transitioning to IR

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Huh?? She is doing great for a 12YOA kid.

View attachment 17305View attachment 17304

Perhaps you should take another look at your DD's video. Her hand is under the ball. So, her elbow has to be leading her arm. Maybe she could use a *little* more bend in the arm.

If you want to improve the bend, try this drill. At the beginning of the drill, pay attention to the bend and the hand under the ball. He

Your DD needs to work on her posture. You should take a video of her from behind and make sure that she has BI (brush interference).

IR is the only way to throw the ball. There is no other way...every good college pitchers uses IR.

Do you know if this young lady is from Taiwan aka Chinese Taipei ? Looks like the style of their international pitchers.

Aug 21, 2008
I went to Taiwan a few years ago to do some intensive work with their National teams and coaching staffs on pitching training. They have a work ethic unlike anyone else, working day and night but they don't have a lot of natural talent in their pool of players (at least not that I saw). I didn't see anyone that I thought would make it with great success at the NCAA level here. Maybe now they would since they've had a couple years to process things, who knows? But they are hungry for info there and absorb everything they are told and shown with video.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
I went to Taiwan a few years ago to do some intensive work with their National teams and coaching staffs on pitching training. They have a work ethic unlike anyone else, working day and night but they don't have a lot of natural talent in their pool of players (at least not that I saw). I didn't see anyone that I thought would make it with great success at the NCAA level here. Maybe now they would since they've had a couple years to process things, who knows? But they are hungry for info there and absorb everything they are told and shown with video.
They are doing well. This was a super game.

- Chinese Taipei vs USA | Women's Softball Jul 4, 2019

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Thank you so much. Can you explain brush interference to me a little ? Or a video recommendation ? She works her tail off so we will Get right to it. Thank you !

Brush interference refers to the contact between the throwing arm and the side of her body. This contact is *ESSENTIAL* for good control.

Brush interference for your DD should be focused on her making contact. The key teaching point is "move your body to the arm", *NOT* "move your arm to the body". "Good pitching posture" (staying tall with your shoulders over your hips, and hips over the feet) results in brush interference.

More advanced pitchers have "brush block", where the hip actually block movement of the arm, resulting in increased speed. The attached pictures show Monica Abbott's "perfect" brush interference....the arm is behind the hip. Your DD is not ready to try this, but be aware it exists, and in a couple of years start working on brush block.

The reason for better control with brush interference is real simple...the pitcher creates a learned reflex based on when her arm contacts her body. She learns to start the release phase when her arm contacts the body...so she isn't simply relying on her internal clock to tell her when to release the ball.

The best way to evaluate brush interference is to take a video of your DD from 2B. That allows you to see her arm movement in relation to her body.

Look at the to slow motion video of Schoenberg shot from the rear. Her arm never contacts her hip. I suspect she had control problems when she got tired.

A well-regarded high level pitching coach told me that he would never recruit any pitcher who did not have brush resistance because of control problems.

Attachments

• abbot-arm.jpg
    abbot-arm.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018
I would be careful about recommending her videos without noting a significant flaw in her motion. Her brush interference is lacking, to say the least. She also tends to "monkey butt".

The lack of brush interference does two things:

1) It significantly reduces her control.
2) It decreases her speed.

Top college pitchers have really great brush interference.

Watched and totally agree. Her brush is lacking and posture is a bit bent. Not optimal position at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2014
To the OP first thing I would focus on is her locking her arm out from 12 on its locked out should be some bend in there...seems to be her biggest issue right now, followed closely by her posture which is really bent over instead of nice and tall.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Brush interference refers to the contact between the throwing arm and the side of her body. This contact is *ESSENTIAL* for good control.

Brush interference for your DD should be focused on her making contact. The key teaching point is "move your body to the arm", *NOT* "move your arm to the body". "Good pitching posture" (staying tall with your shoulders over your hips, and hips over the feet) results in brush interference.

More advanced pitchers have "brush block", where the hip actually block movement of the arm, resulting in increased speed. The attached pictures show Monica Abbott's "perfect" brush interference....the arm is behind the hip. Your DD is not ready to try this, but be aware it exists, and in a couple of years start working on brush block.

The reason for better control with brush interference is real simple...the pitcher creates a learned reflex based on when her arm contacts her body. She learns to start the release phase when her arm contacts the body...so she isn't simply relying on her internal clock to tell her when to release the ball.

The best way to evaluate brush interference is to take a video of your DD from 2B. That allows you to see her arm movement in relation to her body.

Look at the to slow motion video of Schoenberg shot from the rear. Her arm never contacts her hip. I suspect she had control problems when she got tired.

A well-regarded high level pitching coach told me that he would never recruit any pitcher who did not have brush resistance because of control problems.
@sharkyc23 listent to @sluggers words of wisdom above. Nailed it and spot on! It is ESSENTIAL and do not deviate from it. You will read and study alot of things on alot of sites but this will likely be the best you will see. Couple that with the Rick Pauly video I posted (and anything Rick Pauly for that matter) and you will be well on your way. You have a gifted athlete and that is for sure. Kid looks really really good and I don't say that often. Sky is the limit for her!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13