Transition to IR causing side arm release

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Is it true that HE will cause a pitcher to top out at 50mph?

No. It will limit their speed though but the actual limit will depend on the pitcher, i actually think it is really hard to wven hit 50 as a bowler. The fact is that in my experience there are very few, if any, girls actually throwing with a true bowling motion at 14s and up. Their PCs might be teaching it but they are doing some sort of I/R despite this fact. Actual bowlers are weeded out at 12s.

To the OP, sounds like she needs to loosen up more and throw from the 12 o'clock and 9 o clock positions more to ingrain the feeling of a loose release more.

Jul 14, 2008
My advise is to listen to every piece of teaching advise "out in left field" gives you and follow it to the letter......She has a very good track record of producing imaginary high level pitchers because her daddy used be a league pitcher.

So her advise here is that if you turn the ball toward 3rd, her side arm motion will suddenly and completely disappear, and her velocity and control will instantly increase. It that simple!

Good luck!

Oh......Or you might search the forum for "sidearm" and read some of the threads to educate yourself since you are her pitching coach. I'm assuming you've never pitched since you can't diagnose the cause of the affect.

You can start here:

www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/15227-please-review-my-dd-form-delivery-release.html

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/21484-dds-progression-videos-2.html#post284939

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
OP,

That second link BoardMember posted above is what you are looking for. I've had the opportunity to work with a bunch of people that have used the I/R threads on DFP... and what you are experiencing is very, very common.

I've said this a million times... but many people don't spend enough time ironing out the little details in the Lock-it-in drill...as they are impatiently hoping that the mechanics will come overtime... with motions that are closer to the full pitch. You should teach her to throw it with I/R before she pitches with it. Lock-It-In and 9 o'clock are the best place to do this, IMO.

First..........Read the words in this clip OUT LOUD as they occur........Starting with "THE DRILL STARTS HERE"............

2w4xmqv.gif

First words: "THE DRILL STARTS HERE"......."NOT FROM HERE"....."THE DRILL STARTS HERE"........

These words mean EXACTLY what they say. The drill starts with the arm/hand HANGING LOOSELY DOWN AT THE SIDE to begin this drill.........Hence "THE DRILL STARTS HERE".........I AM NOT starting this drill by PUTTING/PLACING THE BALL BEHIND ME to start the drill..........Hence the words "NOT FROM HERE"..........I am hanging my arm/hand loosly down by my side.........THE DRILL STARTS HERE........

What comes next is the beginning of the drill............"TAKE IT BACK".........."TURN IT UP"........."THIS IS EXTERNAL ROTATION"............

D, this is THE FIRST HALF OF THE DRILL..........YOU CANNOT SKIP THE FIRST HALF OF THE DRILL..........You must start relaxed with the with ball in hand down by the thigh..........DD is NOT STARTING THE DRILL FROM THE CORRECT DRILL POSITION.

From there you take it back and turn it up.........Externally rotating.........This LOADS THE ARM to deliver the pitch/throw the ball with I/R............

The next words are the rest of the drill.........."LEAD WITH THE PINKIE FINGER"........"PULL IT DOWN AND THROW WITH I/R".......Read that last part again............"PULL IT DOWN AND THROW WITH I/R"........

Did any of the words JUMP OUT AT YOU in the last part?? LOL! GOOD! YOUR DD IS NOT DOING THOSE LAST 8 WORDS in the 2nd half of the drill......

Now that last words in the clip............"THERE IS NO PAUSE IN THIS DRILL"............That means exactly what it says.........

Watch me after the words "THERE IS NO PAUSE IN THIS DRILL"..........That's when I'm performing the ENTIRE DRILL........Start to finish........From the bottom.........Rock it back and turn it up and pull it down and throw it with I/R........Without pausing......This drill is as much about RHYTHM, syncronization and timing as it is about throwing with I/R.......

So.........Get ready to perform the drill by positioning the hand at the at the bottom..........THEN........Turn it up and back, pull it down and through leading with the pinkie and throwing with I/R..........

Bottom line..........She is NOT starting at the bottom with a relaxed arm........THEN rocking it back and turning it up AND pulling IT DOWN and throwing I/R.............ALL IN ONE MOTION...........

IF she was pulling, down her elbow would go from properly bent (as she is) to extending SOMEWHAT straighter as she pulls down.........Not LOCKED OUT STRAIGHT........But STRAIGHTENING OUT a bit as she pulls DOWN and throws with I/R.........

Think "TAKE IT BACK and TURN IT UP THEN PULL IT DOWN FROM BEHIND AND THROUGH".........ALL ONE MOTION.......Take it back and up.......and pull it down and through.........

NOT AROUND THE HIP...........DOWN AND THROUGH........RIGHT PAST THE BACK THIGH.........

I might add that I tell pitchers to START HERE, TO GET HERE. WHERE YOU START IS WHERE YOU WANT TO GET TO... and you do that by PULLING DOWN WHILE LEADING WITH THE PINKY.

Sorry about the Reader's Digest jumbo text... but I just want to make sure you don't miss those parts... as they are the fix you're looking for.

Best, JS

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
^^^^^yes, yes, yes

One drill that really helped my DD with the transition to I/R was to repeatedly swing her arm from 9 to 3 with the internal rotation occurring at the rear hip without releasing the ball so she can feel it. On the third iteration, she would release. It's a variation on Boardmember's bat drill that worked for my DD.
f224ip.jpg

Jul 14, 2008
Oh CRAP!!! Didn't you listen to OLIF's advise in this thread???? Rick Pauly and Rich Balswick are her "hero's" and she says they INSIST ON PALM TO 3rd OR ELSE YOU'LL THROW SIDEARM GUARANTEED!!!!

This young lady is scared for life from the external rotation to palm up at 9:00!!! SIDEARM HERE WE COME!!!

^^^^^yes, yes, yes

One drill that really helped my DD with the transition to I/R was to repeatedly swing her arm from 9 to 3 with the internal rotation occurring at the rear hip without releasing the ball so she can feel it. On the third iteration, she would release. It's a variation on Boardmember's bat drill that worked for my DD.
f224ip.jpg

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I'm offended that OILF didn't try to save my DD... when I asked about 3rd base by showing a .gif of DD when she said that and had 40 pics of elite... but if I can remember right, OILF said she was ignoreing me long ago :cool:

Jun 18, 2010
^^^^^yes, yes, yes

f224ip.jpg

I know this will be controversial advice to some, but I think a weighted ball (8oz or 10oz) doing what your DD does really helps them get the feel for the whip. I compare it to swinging a weighted golf club and really being able to feel the weight in the hands. I am not suggesting throwing a full pitch with the weighted balls, but doing what SBmom's DD is doing with them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole