Transition to IR causing side arm release

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
IF only Rich posted here still... and Rick was allowed to... Pretty sure Out in Left Field would be Left Out in the Field. :rolleyes:

Perhaps we'll be blessed with 100 still images of circle changes... or 100 links to external sites...

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
playersparent - In case you have not figured out OLIF is the DFP resident troll. Her posts are for amusement only and not for serious consideration.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I know this will be controversial advice to some, but I think a weighted ball (8oz or 10oz) doing what your DD does really helps them get the feel for the whip. I compare it to swinging a weighted golf club and really being able to feel the weight in the hands. I am not suggesting throwing a full pitch with the weighted balls, but doing what SBmom's DD is doing with them.

Although my DD was not a convert to IR the judicious use of weighted balls was and still is a key part of her routine. It not only helped with her mechanics but helped her throw with significant velocity. Finding creative ways to get a pitcher to "feel" the pitch is critical to long term success.

Dec 11, 2010
playersparent - In case you have not figured out OLIF is the DFP resident troll. Her posts are for amusement only and not for serious consideration.

I usually find myself Bemused not Amused by it... And sometimes Cornfused.

Jul 4, 2012
Although my DD was not a convert to IR the judicious use of weighted balls was and still is a key part of her routine. It not only helped with her mechanics but helped her throw with significant velocity. Finding creative ways to get a pitcher to "feel" the pitch is critical to long term success.

Just curious, does your DD do a full arm circle with the weighted ball or just from 9:00?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Just curious, does your DD do a full arm circle with the weighted ball or just from 9:00?

Full circle. Depending on the ball with an 8oz she throws full speed, but with a 16oz cannon ball she slows down considerably and uses it to get a good stretch. Used to do quite a bit of overload/underload to build speed. Now that speed is not much of a concern she does not do it very often. Focus now is on movement and endurance. She wants to be able to go both ends of a DH.:)

You can really hurt yourself with the heavier balls so both the PC and the pitcher need to be very careful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole