Tracking the ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Great pic Cannonball,

I WILL SAY THIS AGAIN> Her NOSE is towards the BALL< TO the CONTACT POINT. Her EYES, have ATTEMPTED, to track the ball.

SEE BALL HIT BALL. good cues. Why and How, would you teach the player, to not follow the ball to contact??

I now that when i swing, i also lose that last instance, and my eyes, go into a type of wider vision. shoot at my age now, the ball would be blurry anyway, even if i stare at it on a tee,(which I LOVE).

So If you do not teach watch the release, follow with nose(which is what elite hitters do) what do you teach?

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Here's a pretty good demonstration of the concept that it's about pattern recognition rather than following the ball all the way in. It's soccer, not softball, but it really makes the point. Essentially, they have someone kick a ball toward Ronaldo (one of the world's top soccer players), then as the ball is kicked the lights are turned off. He then has to try to score without being able to see the ball. He does it by being able to recognize where the ball will be (it's in different places on each attempt) by how it is kicked at the point of impact. Then they do it once turning off the lights right BEFORE the ball is kicked. And scores again. Whether you like soccer or not, this is pretty impressive. It also shows what a big advantage it would be to recognize a pitch as it's thrown.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Without a doubt, with experiance of seeing pitches, you will have a better understanding of where the ball is going.
What about the less experianced?(spell check). Or What about the pro WIDE RECIEVER, who turns his head, and tries to run, but drops it? What about turning your head to make a throw before you field the ball.

You must watch the ball leave the pitchers hand, and follow it till contact. NOSE TO BALL. Am i wrong. Is this agaianst the Hanson principle?? Is this what Elite hitters do??

Konerko1-M.jpg

AGon1-M.jpgHamilton2.jpg

How do you teach high school, to youth??? College instructors what do you teach?

One has said they teach to anticipate the ball path, swing there. . Dont try to watch it all the way in. The hitters above, what are they doing?

Jun 20, 2008
Deep, informative, passionate, and well written...
Nice work, 2 bucket

I can not take credit for this coach James, my friend and someone who has helped me a great deal in being able to help my daughters and the girls on the team I help coach Rob Crews wrote this and much more stuff that is very useful...please google him or look him up on you tube...

Jun 20, 2008
GD, is this from Rob Crews blog?

I had the pleasure of spending a few days during each of the last couple of years with Rob Crews and I can not put a value on the time it was priceless...this is from something he tweeted...you can follow him on tweeter on face book and he has alot of stuff on Youtube too...

And as far using a batting T I think it is a valuable tool as long as it is used correctly, the hitters have to look long and check in just prior to contact...this can also be done with one T placed 10 or so feet ahead of the T that they are actually hitting of of to simulate seeing the ball and anticipating where the ball is going to be...

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Thanks 2bucketdad, thats a great idea, i will start to incorperate the secound tee.

From Greenmonsters, SEE BALL HIT BALL good.

Without a doubt, with experiance of seeing pitches, you will have a better understanding of where the ball is going.
What about the less experianced?(spell check). Or What about the pro WIDE RECIEVER, who turns his head, and tries to run, but drops it? What about turning your head to make a throw before you field the ball.

You must watch the ball leave the pitchers hand, and follow it till contact. NOSE TO BALL. Am i wrong. Is this agaianst the Hanson principle?? Is this what Elite hitters do??

Konerko1-M.jpg

AGon1-M.jpgHamilton2.jpg

How do you teach high school, to youth??? College instructors what do you teach?

One has said they teach to anticipate the ball path, swing there. . Dont try to watch it all the way in. The hitters above, what are they doing?

The swing we are all trying to teach, has AJUSTABILITY. THE reason, is to react. Anticipation, is not reaction.
Vision, is probably a big factor, that seperates the VERY ELITE, from all others. Or am i wrong, and its the ones that sees more balls at practice, that has more "vision memory"?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma