Tough softball week coming up.......

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
......for DAD that is!

HS tryouts start Monday. DD is a freshman, and more excited than nervous. I purposely scheduled meetings out of town all week.....I forced myself to be away. Just have to check in at night on the phone. Gonna be painful for me, but I know it's a good thing. She really didn't want me out there with the other anxious parents watching from the parking lot while they are pretending they aren't watching ;) .

I've missed two tournaments and maybe 5 practices the last 5 years of TB....I'm honestly looking forward to being an "outfield dad"!

And of course, being Oregon....Monday is supposed to be decent, followed by rain all week.

TR

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The tryout that I walked past last week, was closed to all parents. As I walked, I came across a mom and dad about 2 blocks away, trying to see the tryouts. That was pretty pitiful.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
DD's team begins on Friday 3/2 (1st Friday of March here in NJ). Most of the girls have been attending the captain's practices on the weekend, but there are several who just completed Winter Sports (BB, fencing) and are now available.

After being shoo'ed away from watching FH practice in the Fall, I certainly won't be watching softball tryouts/practice. HopefullyI'll do well to make 5 games this season; especially the ones the DD pitches.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
The tryout that I walked past last week, was closed to all parents. As I walked, I came across a mom and dad about 2 blocks away, trying to see the tryouts. That was pretty pitiful.

:) Try having your office right next to the softball complex!!! No DD playing for a long time, but I do find myself taking "a break" around the start of practice time.

So just add me to that list!;)

Jul 9, 2009
IL
This guy has the right idea :)

Binoculars.jpg

Attachments

• Binoculars.jpg
    Binoculars.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 3

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Tryouts are done for DD's HS team except for a couple of kids that played BB. Their first game is next Wednesday and first tournament is next Friday/Saturday.

Good luck to all of your kids, may they all make the varsity squad and earn a spot on the starting lineup (at least play for their High School) :)

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
What's this about parents not being able to watch practice? My dad would usually catch the last 30 minutes of practice when I played in HS and it sure beat walking the mile home after a grueling practice. Maybe I should weening myself now.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
I get off work fairly early, so always went to the field and caught the end of practice. Didn't make sense to go home and come back to pick her up 30 min. later. Coach never minded - you just have to be quiet.

Nov 15, 2009
Our tryouts here in North Jersey start March 2. DD is a freshman trying out for Varsity as an outfielder and pitcher. We have a strong junior as a #1 pitcher but DD is an obvious #2 and one of the strongest hitters out of all the girls trying out. Unfortunately politics play a huge role on our varsity team(like most from what I hear) and she left the town travel team 3 years ago to play club ball. I will stay as far away as possible from tryouts and practices and Im not real good at kissing butts so I will probably be outfield dad with the ipod cranking during all her games. Unfortunately, jv and freshman games are usually blow outs but I am a softball dad so I'll be watching every game regardless of the level of play.

Dec 7, 2011
Here my DD is going into her sophmore year and second yr varsity being the prime pitcher. This year being the only year it looks like her shool might have a chance at post-season. It's a shame to know that after this year she will be "unsupported",.....but then again it's HS and I am looking forward to being much more relaxed this year knowing what that is. Last year I gave it way too much cred...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad